Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Fat Strings, Thin Strings, etc...... >

Fat Strings, Thin Strings, etc......

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fat Strings, Thin Strings, etc......

Old 10-23-2002, 03:19 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Fat Strings, Thin Strings, etc......

What is your preferance, and why? Have you shot them head to head to see if there is any real differance in performance? Noise?

I haven't done it in a long time myself, as I had come to the conclusion that there is no real benefit to using a thin string(12 strand Dacron, 10 strand Dynaflight '97, 6-9 strand 450+). I did notice more stretch, creep, and noise with the smaller strings, and less durability. My thoughts are by the time you pad out your loops, pad out and/or double serve the nock area, and/or add silencers to compensate for the extra noise, you have pretty much added back the weight you took off by reducing strands (which ain't much at all to begin with--ever weighed a strand of string?).

There might be an advantage on a light weight target bow, where every little bit counts, and string noise is not an issue--I really don't know. Has anyone noticed if compound manufacturers, who really push the speed issue, have gone to the thin strings?

Just wondering what your thoughts/opinions/experiences are.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 10-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fat Strings, Thin Strings, etc......

Pretty much the same conclusion, unless you shoot really heavy arrows. Then I believe you gain a little with the thinner string. Thicker strings seem to come off my fat fingers a little smoother...
my 2 cents
Old 10-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Even with the compound, I've always shot 15 strand strings. My wheelchine came with a 12 strand string because Browning said it would be faster. I always put so much crap on my strings anyway to make it quiet and it didn't make any difference to me how fast it was with 600g arrows, lol. I do like the way a fatter string leaves my fingers though. Smooooooth!

Make them sharp and shoot them straight, or leave them home.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:38 PM

I'm using 12 strand B-50 strings for one reason, they fit the nocks on my Gold Tips perfectly. Can't go thicker and don't trust thinner.
Dick