Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 custom strings vs stock strings >

custom strings vs stock strings

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

custom strings vs stock strings

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default custom strings vs stock strings

what are the advantages of a good custommade string and cables over the stock ones?i have a 2005 browning with the stock ones on it dynaflite97 string and 450plus cables which i think are good products from BYC.so what can i achieve by getting custom ones made for the bow?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: custom strings vs stock strings

theres ALOT to gain IMO. some factory strings are better than others...i personally only got about half a year from my stock Reflex strings. sure, if i had them retwisted it would probably helped, but they were pretty shot out...ATA legnth and draw weight were WAY off...as well as major tune issues..didnt know strings could cause that much headache till after the fact...

bought custom 452X string and cables and got atleast 1000 shots or better on them and NEVER had to retune, twist, fix draw legnth or weight, ATA is still dead on etc...nothing budged. really happy with them and will most likely stick with 452x in the future....just seems to be an all around better product. dont know why factory strings arent made in 452x or similar...give everyone alot less headaches...guess they usually make money on guys taking their bows to the shop and the shop saying you need a new string and ordering a stock string for it...

if i ever buy a new bow, the only time im shooting the factory string is however long it takes my custom to be made and shipped...no need for the headache and hassle...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM

The only "custom" string I have ever used is Winner's Choice. Have had great luck with them. Very stable and durable. Will probably try some strings this year from "Gibblet" who is on this forum. Seems to have a great reputation

Also, I understand that Reflex bows come equipped with Fuse strings.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

i didn't know that strings when going bad can throw the tuning off that much.i am working with Jason at www.wolfdenstrings.com right now to get me set up with string and cables.the materials he has are 452x,8125, and TS1.he says he likes TS1 as the best all around material.he has a jan. special right know $40.00 for string and cables sounds good to me.i have heard he does top notch quality work.does anyone get more speed from custom made strings and cables??
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

havent heard of TS1 yet...lots of ways to get speed with strings and cables...but i dont know how except different materials and such...dont make my own...just buy them. the gain in speed usually aint worth giving up the stability of other strings like 452x...

roskoe, my Reflex in an 06 highlander. dont think they had fuse strings...could be wrong though. i did shoot it ALOT, like a couple thousand shots in a short period of time...some days id shoot no like well over 100 arrows..some days id shoot from the time i got up till it got too dark off and on...shot enough to hurt my shoulder...was new to archery and trying to learn to shoot good quick...found out overshooting isnt the way to do it...but i put alot of shots on that string quick...
Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM

ts+, which is what it is now, is the least expensive, modern, pure dyneema material. it's got quite a bit more creep than bcy's 8125, and it's more temperature sensitive. i'd get a different material.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gibblet makes Great strings!! I prefer 452X strings and cables but that's me

Dan
Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Makes me wonder how mine will shoot when Gibblet gets mine to me! My string maybe the stocker and it's on a 03 Extreme! I'm pleased with my shooting but sounds like I have the world ahead of me when new one is on!I am excited thinking about lime green/black setup,saw it on someone elses and it looks good!What tuning may have to be redone when it's on? John said I would shoot through my block,I'm already getting penetration so better string will limit that target use soon!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

As has been said here, TS+ is not going to be as stable as 8125 or better yet 452X. I've been getting all my stuff through John (Gibblet) now for a couple of years including well over a dozen strings for customers at the shop. They are more stable than just about any stock string I've found, better color selection, and most importantly he offers Halo serving which in my opinion is the most durable serving material I've ever seen. To my knowledge no one else is using Halo on their servings, and I can't quite figure out why........the stuff is nearly indestructible.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys for the reply's!!! maybe i'll look at getting the 452x material.

Quick Reply: custom strings vs stock strings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.