Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what's up with my serving >

what's up with my serving

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what's up with my serving

Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM

Default what's up with my serving

I think my bow just eat's serving. Ibow hunt and gun hunt. When I put my bow away, it generally stays put until about June. I bought it in September, 2006. Had it reserved in late summer, 2007. This year, I broke my wrist on 6/4 and had surgery on 6/9. I was in a cast until last week. I went ahead and had it restrung with a G5 Metrao string. I probably have not shoot 100 arrows yet (probably less than 50) and the serving is already seperating so bad where the cam breaks that I can see the string through it.

Shouldn't my serving last longer than this? I have no burs or anything on my cam that I can find. I shoot A LOT in the months coming up on season, and I don't want to have my bow reserved once a week.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what's up with my serving

Its fairly common to have some seperation by your cams but it sounds like your having excesive seperation. Id take it to a proshot and have them check it out.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Does the bow have a module separate from the cam, if so sometimes the module can be slightly out of alignment. this was the case with my Bear Instinct.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:35 AM

sounds like a typical Matthews issue I have seen it on every single one of there bows that I have seen. You would think that they would fix it. I love the matthews bows but as much as I shoot year round I went with the guardian. Which I like the bowtech much better than the matthews. But I would say have it looked at but my buddy has to have his reserved about every 6 months.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

As posted above Mathews has and always had a problem with eating serving. I don't uderstand why they haven't addressed this. I am sure they could do it pretty easily but I guess they don't won't to put the R&D $$$ in it to fix it as long as they sell butt loads of bows and it is not just limited to Mathews or even bow companies it everthing you buy they could do one minor thing to make a better product but places like Wal-Mart really hamstring companies now a days tring to get them to make it as cheap as they can. The Wal-Mart thing is just an example, I hate that place.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Sometime a harsh cam bow will tend to do this. But I do not think that the Mathews cam is harsh at all?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

The angle of the break over point where the cable and string roll over to attach to the post is pretty steep which tends to cause the seperation you are talking. Plus the matthews stock strings leave much to be desired IMO.

Usually a good aftermarket string will take care of it. I had no separation at all with Vapor Trails', then switched to a Little Jon and had just a little but not much seperation. They say anything under 1/8" isn't cause for alarm, but alot of times it will get bigger over time. You can push the serving back together with your thumbnail and serve over the ends of the existing serving about 1 -2". That's supposed to hold it together. Some also put super glue on the serving ends too.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks. I think in the next month I will go ahead and take it back to be reserved, and see if they will serve over the ends like you said. I don't like the idea on putting supperglue on my string.