Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Switching back to Aluminums >

Switching back to Aluminums

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Switching back to Aluminums

Old 09-22-2003, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Switching back to Aluminums

Well, I don' t have to worry about getting them to shoot well anymore. I went down to my proshop and bought me a new dozen aluminums and while I was there sold my goldtips to a guy that was there shooting at the time. Gave him a little deal but it was better than leaving them sit in my case or on a shelf in the garage!!! I don' t think I will be trying carbons again for a while, I am going to be sticking with what works. It is nice to have the confidence back, those carbons frustrated the hell out of me!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. Nine more days and I' ll be out there ready to go!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:35 PM

i went down tonight and shot my goldtips 3555xt at 271/2 in with a 100 grain pt set at 57 pds--was shooting fairly well and found an old aluminum xx75 i use to shoot with a overdraw 251/2 long and wated to see how it would fly.hit dead center on the bull--arrow flew great and man was my bow a lot quiter--so i went and got 2 more of the same shafts and grouped real well.everyone is hooked a more speed these days including me.but i have finally come to the pt were consistency is better and next year im back to aluminum---tuning seems so much easier also
Old 09-27-2003, 10:27 PM

I have been shooting goldtips for 4yrs, still have' nt bent one yet. shoot what you like and what works best for you. As far as 3ds go I see more bent Aluminums than carbin arrows on the ground.[X(]
Old 09-27-2003, 11:22 PM

Had the same experience during the summer with 2 different brands of carbons. Will not stray away from my 2314' s again.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:22 PM

I really loved it when every alum. arrow that I bought was bent after shooting into my mckenzi deer target! 2in above point. bemans ics for 4 years now BUT they are starting to crack from the impact of the target but their 2 yrs. old.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:21 PM

I switched to carbons a month ago. Bought GT 5575' s they shot great and I loved them shooting at 62#. Cranked my bow all the way up to 70# and the world fell apart. I have the same length of arrows as you, but draw 29" . I could not get the 5575' s to tune for crap at 70#, but they shot like a dream at 62#.

Last week I went out and bought 6 new 7595' s and man what a difference at 70#. I just got in from messing around at 60 yards. I shot numerous groups in the 4" range and every single group stayed on my black painted paper plate. I cannot do better than this with aluminums.

I' m 99% sure you are underspined with those arrows.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really loved it when every alum. arrow that I bought was bent after shooting into my mckenzi deer target!
Tune your bow. Pull the arrows straight out. Stay away from arrows made with 6061 alloy. Main thing though, don' t shoot underwieght/underspined aluminum arrows trying to pick up an extra 15-20 fps.

Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM

I had a setup simular to yours and souinds like you are underspined to me.... BEFORE you blame the arrows though - are you POSITIVE the bow is in perfect tune ?? Dont give up on carbones if they are what you want to shoot - I love them.... but others dont.......

Cougar - Dont like GoldTips ?? Just curious why and what your experiance with them is .... Did you see my post " Interesting Observation" I wrote Gold Tip about it - and No reply yet........ I wont be buying them again but will stick with Carbons...
Old 09-29-2003, 08:49 PM

Bow was definately in tune. I feel they are a little under spined due to the fact that most people have there bow around 63# and are shooting great. I may give them another try in the future but for now will be using my aluminums. I shoot well with them and my thunderheads shoot well too and that is most important. I will be out there on Wednesday so there is no time to be switching back to carbons now. Should be fun due to a cold front coming through and a chance of snow!!!!! Thanks for the suggestions and comments, this message board is a huge help to a lot of archers. Good luck to you all!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me some of you guys that tried carb' s are not getting the correct spine tolerances to your setups. Its as important if not more than shooting the correct sized aluminum. If you bought the incorrect size alum, your bow would have ill effects as well! I made the switch to carb' s 5yrs ago. I got tired of buying a new dozen alums every year after bending them on 3d courses or other guys denting them from hitting my shafts. Don' t get me wrong there' s nothing wrong with alums, but I shoot alot, and found carb' s to be best for me. I will tell you they do need a little more attention to setup. I spin every new arrow at both tip & nock ends. I have found a couple in each dozen to not be perfect. I put those aside for them bonus pt. metal targets. I must admit though I did just recently buy a new dozen Easton Buckeye' s for hunting shafts, and they all spun perfect. I was surprised. As far as the insert placement & broadhead alignment. Simple fix. Screw on your broadheads, then fletch your shafts to align!
So I suggest don' t toss carb' s aside as crap if didn' t get the correct spined shafts to begin with. Oh by the way I robinhooded my 1st two shot Buckeye' s when shooting them with broadheads!