Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buddy switching back to fixed blades >

Buddy switching back to fixed blades

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buddy switching back to fixed blades

Old 08-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Buddy switching back to fixed blades

Anybody have a story of a mechanical head not opening, either in a target or while shooting at an animal? Just curious because my hunting buddy had one not open in his broadhead target a couple of days ago. 3 new heads and two opened just fine while one never opened on a shot. This shook his confidence and he is going to use his Thunderheads in Colorado. Not trying to start any war, just wondering if anyone has any story to share about a mech head not opening. By the way, the head was a NAP Shockwave.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Buddy switching back to fixed blades

Here is a story for you. I used to shoot Spitfire broadheads. I took a very good shot on a very big buck. The buck was standing broadside the front half of his body was exposed from behind a tree so it was an open shot with no branches or anything. Now, I was concerned about bouncing the arrow off the trunk of this tree because as the buck stood just about exactly 25 yards away, this big oak was about 2 feet in front of him. So, as you can probably guess, with missing the "perfect spot right behind the shoulder blade" by about 3 inches I drilled the shoulder blade. Now, not only did I only get about 5 inches total penetration, but with using a relatively light carbon arrow(Beman Hunter) the broadhead broke off at the tip of the arrow and remained imbedded in the buck's shoulder blade essentially blocking any blood from coming out and making a decent blood trail. I do believe the blades opened. However, it didn't do me much good. I have since switched to a heavier carbon arrow(CX Terminator Hunter) and use a 100 grain Thunderhead.

I truly believe that if I had been using a Thunderhead(or other fixed blade head) that day then the buck would be on my wall. I could be wrong, I could be right, but I believe it regardless as I was there.

So, I hope your friend decided to stay with the Thunderhead. Maybe this story will sway his opinion and maybe it won't. I'll never use a mechanical broadhead again. I just don't see a very measurable advantage over fixed position broadheads.

When the moment of truth arrives...........................I have no questions.

TBO
Old 08-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Several years back I was shooting Punchcutters. I shot a doe at 10 yards. Due to the severe angle, I aimed and hit high. She was broadside, and standing still. I saw the arrow go in, right where I wanted it, but it didn't go in farther than I would guestimate 4 inches, maybe more, but not even close to the vanes. I was shooting 68 pounds, so KE was not a factor. At first I thought I hit the opposite shoulder, but as I replayed the shot over and over that is just not the case. Anyway, we got on the trail. We found NO blood, didn't find the arrow, just a little bit of hair. OK...so now I am really questioning the shot. I replayed it again, and am sure it was a kill shot, no question about it. We never found the deer, but 2 weeks later saw her, alive and well, with an obvious sore from the wound, right where it should have been.
I am absolutely convinced the head didn't open.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

punchcutters have to be one of the alltime worst , never had a problem with vortex , they have allways opened going in , and even if they did not they still have exposed blades befor opening .
Old 08-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i reckon its about that time again aint it fellas? the fixed vs mechanical broad head war!!

Well i shoot both! I have record kills with both, i have seen them drop in sight with both, never had one NOT open, but doesnt mean it wont happen. its like wearing a scent lock suit you paid hundreds for and getting winded by a deer!!LOL.......It all depends. I like thunderheads, i like nap shockwaves, i use to LOVE spit-fires.........just dont LOVE the price!! LOL..........There are all kinds of stories out there, just figure out what best works for YOU and go from there, good luck and happy hunting!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

It happened to me, first time I ever tried mechanicals. I just opened the package, screwed them onto my arrows and went to the broadhead target. None of the three heads opened. I checked them out and found out the blade slots were full of machining chips and the blades could not open. Couldn't even pull them open with pliers. Once I removed the blades and cleaned out the blade slots, the heads worked fine.

Sent a nastygram to the manufacturer and they sent me a fresh pack of heads, a cap and a couple dozen replacement blades.

The second pack of mechanicals I tried (different manufacturer) weren't quite as bad, but they had burrs around the screw holes in the blades and they didn't function properly either. I had to grind off the burrs with my dremel before the blades would flop open freely, like they're supposed to.

Both sets opened just fine and did what they were supposed to do, after I'd worked them over. Both brands were very popular heads at the time and were well spoken of on the forums. So, my experience was just my bad luck, or maybe The Man Upstairs was telling me I was not meant to be using mechanicals. Not good for someone who was skeptical of mechanicals in the first place, but was trying to keep enough of an open mind to try them out myself.

But the point is, always check mechanical heads out and make sure they work properly before hunting with them.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Something to keep in mind is depending on what type of target you used how did you varify that they were not opening. If it is a target where they go thru it and you can see the head on the other side they will usually be closed. When the arrow stops the blads snap back shut. That does not mean they didn't open when hitting the target. A good way to find out is to place some paper or carboard on the front or back of the target and look for the slits the blade make when going thru it. Quality mechanical blades should open every time.

Now I used NAP Spit fires the first season I hunted. I had a fairly light set up and probably shouldn't have been using mechanicals, especially the spit fires because the blades are held in by friction instead of an O-ring. I shot at an average sized deer at 18 yards and did not get a pass thru. The deer for about 400 yards and keeled over in full stride. When we field dressed it we found that it took out one lung and stopped when it hit the heart. However the blade worked as advertised. It opened fine and left a nice one inch hole in the side of the deer. I just didn't have the power to drive it thru the deer.

I promptly switched to fixed blades. Later I tried some 100 grn nail drivers. The are a small two blade mechanical with an O-ring. I put one right thru a good sized broad side doe at about 20 yards.

So for me, I will use either as long as they are the proper head for my light set up. I rarely hear of problems with them not opening unless it is a case like Arthur stated or people are re-using them and they are dirty or damaged.

Paul
Old 08-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

He'll be glad he did. Not that mechs don't or won't work, it's just that with fixed heads you know what you have. You just make the shot. No "what ifs" to worry about. A thunderhead will do as good orIMO better than any mechanical out there, so he should be happy. Tell him good luck
Old 08-16-2005, 10:15 PM

But the point is, always check mechanical heads out and make sure they work properly before hunting with them.
I've used shockwaves for a couple of years and they have worked everytime.I test them first. I Take the rubber band off , point the tip up and the blades will fall down if they don't something is wrong. If you shoot your mechanical into a foam target. you will get foam in the grooves now you have to take the blades out and clean the grooves out. and then resharpen the blade or replace it cause it is now dull. One trip into a foam target and any broadhead is dull.

If your not mechanically inclined and can't take one apart and put it back together again and have it function properly you should not use them. Get a fixed broadhead.

Me, I'll use both.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:00 PM

I use shockwave broadheads and have only heard of this happening a couple of times. If I had to guess the rubber o ring was not sitting where it was designed to sit. If properly placed, it takes minimal pressure to push back the o ring and open those blades. The o ring sits in the back just for this purpose. Not saying it couldn't happen but I love these broadheads and think they are designed extremly well.

Quick Reply: Buddy switching back to fixed blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.