Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Switching back to Aluminums >

Switching back to Aluminums

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Switching back to Aluminums

Old 09-18-2003, 09:44 PM

Default Switching back to Aluminums

Just bought me a half dozen Gold Tip Camo 5575' s and had nothing but problems getting them tuned in. I have shot for a week straight and just cannot get them to group well at all. Put the old Easton 2413 xx75' 5 back on and was slamming arrows again. I really wanted to give these carbons a try but they are getting me frustrated. Anyone have any advice for me besides sticking with the aluminums. I will be shooting them for sure if I cant get these GT' s to fly right.

Equipment

Ben Pearson Anaconda (hammer head cam)
70# draw
28" draw length
29" Gold Tip camo 5575
100Gr. tip
Timber doodle rest
String loop

Old 09-18-2003, 11:16 PM

Default RE: Switching back to Aluminums

I know that after sighting my Pat Dually with my old reliable 2315' s with 115 grain Muzzys, there' s going to be a few blood trails in my woods.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:27 AM

I find the spine on gold tips to be a bit on the weak side. Your setup appears slightly underspined to me. Drop your draw weight down to about 60 lbs and see if that helps.

If it helps and you really want to shoot at 70 lbs, then you will have to add some weight to the rear of the arrow. This may negatively affect your F.O.C., so you may find the best option is to go to 7595s.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:11 AM

i was going to try carbon out but i think i decided against it ,epoxy the insert? how can you line up you broadheads with the insert epoxied in?? and hot melt is not recommended ,so i think i' ll stay with aluminum!

Old 09-19-2003, 01:09 PM

Ahhh, aluminum shooters! Ah shore do luv da sound of intelligent shooters talkin' . Kinda gives me the shivers.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

The shivers must be from all that carbon dust messin' wit yer brain.[X(][>:]

When you talk about an arrow shaft that you have to buy at least 4 dozen to get a dozen good arrows; Permanently installed inserts that can' t be removed, replaced or readjusted; Sloppy spine, weight and straightness tolerances; Pricing on those shafts that aren' t quite as sloppy.... There are lots of good reasons to jump off the carbon bandwagon.

There are some things about carbon I really like, and like enough that I keep trying to find a way to use them. At this point in their evolution there are more things about them I dislike than I like.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:30 AM

Art:

Your age is showing! You done and already went and forgot I is a metal shooter; not synthetic. Carbon is for pencils and copy paper.

It' s the tone ya cannot hear.

Anyway, you are spot on!
Old 09-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your age is showing!
Tell me about it! Went to a high school football game last night. One of the cheerleaders, cute little brunette, stepped on my foot and said ' excuse me.... SIR' . Made me feel like a fossil. [&:]
Old 09-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Main problem you had shooting carbons was..............they were Goldtips!!!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:00 PM

I put them away and will be sticking with my aluminums!!!! I just wanted to give them a try to see what they could do for me. Obviously not too much at this point. I will be sticking with what has worked over the years. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Switching back to Aluminums

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.