Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 seized limb bolts >

seized limb bolts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

seized limb bolts

Old 09-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Spike

Default seized limb bolts

my browning bows limb bolts have started to seize up to the point of where they are hard to turn, my pro shop guy told me to lube them what he did not tell me was not to use FP-10 on them, seems after it drys it causes the bolts to seize up, what can i use to lube them that wont hurt the bow and will help break them loose. Also whats the best limb bolt lube? Thanks, DEAN
Old 09-12-2003, 07:43 PM

Default RE: seized limb bolts

How did the pro shop guy expect you to lube the limb bolts yourself? The bow needs to be put in a press and taken down so that the bolts can be backed all the way out and lubed properly.

On something like the limb bolts I usually use Hoppes gun grease or something similar. I dont think you have to worry about using a dri lube down in the bolts threads.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:48 AM

At my pro shop I just use the white grease, or if they do not want to turn freely I just spray with 100% silcon oil and leave overnight and by morning they most times will be ok...do not use WD40, for some reason it has been told to me that it may hurt your limbs....
Old 09-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

All penetrating oils, including WD-40, are about as much solvent as lube. It will soak into the surface of unprotected fiberglass or carbon composites, but I doubt it will cause damage. And bow limbs are painted or coated, not unprotected. Wood core limbs, now they CAN be damaged by any petroleum based product.

But there are plenty of reasons not to let a can of WD-40 into the same room as your bows, guns and fishing reels. Gummy, dirt attracting and very short lubricating life.

Anyway...

I agree with NYH, that pressing the bow and pulling the limb bolts is the proper way to lube them. If you' ve got solid limb butts instead of split, it might even be the ONLY way. (Anybody remember when you could spread a newspaper out on the kitchen table and completely disassemble a bow with no tools more exotic than an allen wrench, screwdriver and a pair of pliers? This is progress??)

But if you' ve got split limb butts, go down to Wally World and get a spray can of white lithium grease. They come with a plastic tube that fits on the nozzle, just like WD-40. Check your owner' s manual to see just how far you can safely back out the limb bolts. Then back the limb bolts out, stick the tube down thru the slot in the limb butts and spray the bolt threads. Run the bolts in and out a few times to work the lube into the threads in the riser and to the end of the bolts. Might even have to spray the grease on them again to get it done good. It ain' t proper, but it works.