Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Backing out the limb bolts >

Backing out the limb bolts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Backing out the limb bolts

Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Backing out the limb bolts

Should I turn them as tight as they will go as they say in the instructions, or just turn them until there right? What benefit does this have? Thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Backing out the limb bolts

You turn them 1 at a time and no more than 2 full turns at a time. You say backing them out but then you say should you turn them till they are tight so I presume you mean turn them in to raise draw weight. If that's the case and you want max poundage from the bow turn them all the way in and readjust to get the tiller right. If you don't turn them all the way in you will still have to set the tiller. The benifit of turning them in all the way is that most bows shoot thier best at the max weight range, ie a 50-60# bow should shoot better at 60# than at 50.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Assuming that you need to shoot your bow set at less than the highest poundage. Screw in your limb bolts one full turn each until you bottom them out. Then back them off one turn each until you reach your desired draw weight. Tightening them all the way down first assures that the limbs have equal ammounts of stress and they remain equal as you loosen up the bolts equal turns.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are you talking about setting the tiller? I have never heard of doing this before. Enlighten me
Old 06-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like the way big bulls said it and that is usually how i try to explain it. i am sure mdbow is right but its late and i dont understand wat he is saying.

yes somebody please explain to me and nuge what the tiller is. i am lost[&:]
Old 06-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tiller is a measurement from where your limb pocket meets your riser to an imaginary line between your axles. To measure tiller take a piece of fishing line and tie it tight to each axel and then measure from the base of your limb pockets to the fishing line at a 90* angle to the fishing line.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

To add more to this question. If I have a bow that has too heavy of a draw can I back out the limb screws to a stopping point or can the bow fly apart on me..

I have a old spoiler that a friend gave me. He said it was set up for 80#'s. Too much can I lower it with out worrying about danger
Old 06-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boldplate there are a certain amount of turns you can back it out. I'm not sure how many that number is.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would never back out your bolts far enough to allow the ends of your limbs to clear your limb pockets. And to answer your question you can definetly unscrew your limb bolts all the way out and hurt yourself. There is nothing to stop them from coming all the say out other than your common sence.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls well said IMO. Also correct me if I am wrong but can't you also measure tiller from the base of the limb pockets 90* strait out to your bow string. I was taught to measure tiller that way by olympic shooter Dee Wilde, but even he can make mistakes. I do know that if the tiller is off, the bow will be out of time. Please let me know if I am wrong. Being a archery education instructor it's not wise to be wrong.

Quick Reply: Backing out the limb bolts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.