Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 max out limb bolts? >

max out limb bolts?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

max out limb bolts?

Old 09-17-2004, 01:25 PM

Default max out limb bolts?

is it alright to max the poundage down on bows? i have alway tought this is where they have they best performance? but the pro shop told me the reason the limb cracked on my mighty mite was because i have the poundage max out
Old 09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: max out limb bolts?

I posted a similar question a while back and the response that I got is that it is ok to have the limb bolts cranked down all the way.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: oniedaeagle

but the pro shop told me the reason the limb cracked on my mighty mite was because i have the poundage max out
huh? i have never heard of this. what exactly was the reasoning?
are you by chance going to the same "pro" shop as rangeball?...
[8D]
Old 09-17-2004, 02:22 PM

thats what i tought! i dont know the reasoning behind it i think he was just trying to make me feel like i did it and it wasnt i defective limb. any way problem fixed for now and when tommorow and everyday til the season is open iam going to shoot it alot with maxed out limbs
Old 09-17-2004, 02:35 PM

Max out the limb bolts and adjust the poundage on the cable...Bob
Old 09-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont know the reasoning behind it i think he was just trying to make me feel like i did it and it wasnt i defective limb.
Exactly! That's what I believe also.

But, that said, I still usually don't bottom mine out. As you will notice, limbs are usually specified at 50/60, 60/70. These are actually different limbs. So if you have the 50/60 bottomed out at maybe 63 pounds, you may be stretching things a bit. I will usually set mine in the middle and have some room in case I need increase/decrease poundage in order to tune. Bottoming them out initially will not give much room.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you will notice, limbs are usually specified at 50/60, 60/70. These are actually different limbs. So if you have the 50/60 bottomed out at maybe 63 pounds, you may be stretching things a bit.
Even based on this, I'd have to believe companies make allowances for this tolerance knowing full well the majority of people probably shoot them maxed out. Otherwise, you'd think that'd be a major warning pointed out in owner's manuals. To my knowledge, it's not...

Tell the guy he's an idiot and should get a clue...
Old 09-18-2004, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

I can't say for all Manufactures, but My proshop tells me that he has talked with bowtect and they recomend (peak weight) that the limbs be bottemd out. I have always hunted with my limps bottomed out backked off a quater turn. That is just they way the old style of bows were. I have specificlyy asked the pro if my warrenty covered cracked limbs if the limbs are bottomed out, I specifically him if the warrenty covered it because these are only 70lb limbs, I asked him how the bow would hold up with the limbs bottomed out, I also asked him if by bowtech standards if this was what bowtech considered peak weight or if they considered 70lbs peak weight since the limbs are 70lbs.

His response is after talking with bowtech is that peak weight is the limbs bottomed out, they will cover anything that happens to the limbs on the bow. So I shoot my bow maxed out at 74lbs.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess maybe there is a difference between "maxing out" the limbs (and they should perform better there) until there is contact, and trying to get an extra 10 fps. (or whatever) by tightening them really tight!

Maybe the guy is trying to shift blame to you, maybe he thinks if they aren't tightened too much that the new set of limbs will last. Kinda hard to tell from the computer.[&:]

I haven't been paying really close attention, but it seems to me that all of the Bowtechs that have been involved in this "rash" of splitting limbs (even Buck Magnet's false alarm, LOL) have been new 2004 models with the pivoting limb pockets, no?