Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Center

Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Center

Something comes up from time to time about setting up rests and in tuning threads and I never see any follow up about it.

The question is: What bows are made or have ever been made where the rest mounting holes (Berger) is physically, as measured fron axle to axle, in the center of the bow?

As many of you know I've been shooting these crazy wheel bows for over 35 years now and to date I have never seen one. I know that years ago, long before many of you were born or shooting, the deepest part of the grip was in the physical center of the bow and the rest mounted about 2" above center. Sometime, I think in the late 80's somebody moved the grip below center. I guess this was an effort to move the rest porition closer to the center. Most bows today, at least the ones I've used a tape to measure, have the arrow shelf area in the middle. The rest is still above center by about an inch or so.

My question is, what bows have the rest hole half way between the axles? I don't want to hear any guesses or opinions. I'd like to see actual measurements.

For those who want to know how to make the measurement, you can measure axle to axle and mark the center of the string. Then use a bow square from the string to find out just where rest mounting holes are located.

Once I get some figures I'll follow up with why this is an important issue to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow Center

BG,I wish this thread would get more action.I am sure there aren't many if any bows that have true center at the berger hole.There are many that have the shelf at true center but most hunting bows have the grip at true center and I speculate that is due to the short a-a.

If I'm not mistaken,my 06 Protec had the true center at the shelf and imo,this is the bets positioning if the bow's a-a allows it.

In theory it is best to have the grip in true center as well as the arrow but we know that isn't possible so a compromise is needed.That places true center at the shelf.

I would be interested to see some makes and models true center.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know of any off hand that have the berger hole at true center. TFOX brings up some good points. I believe getting the arrow as low to the shelf as possible is going to yield the most forgiving setup. This will typically place the arrow below the center of the berger hole to some extent. Bowtech has a very low berger hole compared to many bows. This is probably why they cut a trough in the center of the shelf as well.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

PSE advertised a "true" center arrow launch back in the mid to late 90s- I actually never measured any (that I recall), but I'm pretty sure they have a patent on the centershot riser in both axes