Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tang Sights...Thompson Center Vernier vs Thompson Center Hunting-Style Tang Peep Sight >

Tang Sights...Thompson Center Vernier vs Thompson Center Hunting-Style Tang Peep Sight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tang Sights...Thompson Center Vernier vs Thompson Center Hunting-Style Tang Peep Sight

Old 01-03-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Tang Sights...Thompson Center Vernier vs Thompson Center Hunting-Style Tang Peep Sight

Recently I found a Thompson Center vernier tangsight on ebay, I bid and got outbid at the last minute. I recently found a more recent model on Cabelas, which is the hunting style tang sight, which doesn't flip down and is alot cheaper. My questions are the following. What is the advantage of the Vernier tangsights? (I have a 50cal T/C Hawken) as opposed to the hunting style tang. I know Thompson Center has not made the Vernier tang sight in a while, and it seems like a sought after item. Why is this the case? I have yet to start sighting in my smokepole, and want to have my sight ordered so I dont waste powder on one sighting then have to sight again with a new sight. As far as I can tell, you use a normal front bead or a fiberoptic with the apeture provided, which you can get different apetures for? Seems like a good system, and eliminated variances in settling the bead into the stock rear sight.
Any advice and information would be great!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 PM

Default RE: Tang Sights...Thompson Center Vernier vs Thompson Center Hunting-Style Tang Peep Sight

To the best of my knowledge:

The old style vernier tang sight also requires a matching front sight assembly, and while the vernier looks pretty cool, is prone to breakage due to it's hight profile, etc.

TC discontinued it in favor of a lower, more streamlined tang peep which uses the existing front sight (rear sight has to be removed to get line of sight down the barrel);

NOTE:
If you plan to use peeps for hunting, and if you hunt during the best times of day like the first and last 15 minutes of very low, poor light, peeps are basically unusable...they don't let in enough light;

Most who get them for deer huntingend upremoving the aperature disc in order to get enough light through to see the front sight clearly, and doing that simply makes it a large ghost ring rear sight, not a peep...andmany take them back off and toss them in a drawer,or sell them on EBay, etc.

If you're just going to use the muzzleloader with a peep sightshooting targets at the rangeduring normaldaylight conditions, it should begood for that...just wanted to give you some balanceto think about...ie: if they were all that outstanding, everybody would be usingthem, etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tang Sights...Thompson Center Vernier vs Thompson Center Hunting-Style Tang Peep Sight

I agree with Roundball... reference the peep sight.

I have one on two of my Renegades. I do not use them too often. For target shooting, yes they are outstanding. Yet twice I had to let deer walk during the last minutes of hunting because of the lack of a clear sight picture using the peep. Once I did take the shot at the end of the day, and ended up killing the animal but not as clean as normally.

If you do not like the basic sight, I would go to a fiber optic sight. I still think with practice, they are the best kind of sight. I like a green sight fiber on the front.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

campo, I again agree with roundball and Cayugad, I have a Renegade and found a front "globe" style assembly for a steal of a price and had the bright idea of swithing sights to "aid me in hunting conditions" well next I found a hunting peep style which is the one roundball is speaking of (lower profile etc.) and thought I was set. It was much to my supprise that one can't be used with the other but you can remove the rear site and use it that way. The globe style that I found for such a good price was to be used with the tang style. I did'ntwant to remove my rear sight at the timebecauseI didn't want to mess my sights up so close to deer season. In short I found for hunting your better off with normal style sights or better yet TC does make them for the Renegade and hawken in fiber obtic. I have been considering removing mine and giving it another go though, it seems I've developed what the eye doctors call a eye convextion or something like that and I'm having trouble focusing on two object's in close proximity. I'm thinking that if I do this I'll only be looking through one object to center another? I don't know maybe it's the same thing, who knows jury's still out I guess. From what my understanding isfor just shooting and general use they are very accurate and used by many competition shooters. If you still want one and can't find it call this guy "Tippacanoe Frontier Trading Company" @ 937-667-1816 in Tipp city Ohio,There hard to get a hold of lately the gentleman has developed cancer and close's quite often for doctor's and such. They carry most anything for traditional shooting and frontier camping living,All the way down to the clothing and dish's. I know at one time the had those front tang's there because I looked at them. CAYUGAD and ROUNDBALL might be a number for you guys to hang onto if your looking for something that you can't find else where. At one time they carryed a host of different sight's and items including rifles and alot of cowboy action items. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

www.rmcsports.com check out theirv-peep sight that they invented for bad eyes etc. i got one and like it and i hunt with it for deer. top of peep is cut -out.it has no insert.it is real thin,about 1/8 inch thick on rear sight. i like the green insert for front sight,they come with red one.you can buy spare inserts for front . i did because you never know when one may break. i hated the original sights and i tried the fiber rear ones and they were blurry on my eyes. the owner of RMC invented this.it is working fine for me. this sight has made it fun to shoot and hunt. type in search at site, V-PEEP. my model was ML-230-3 for .50 caltc hawkins.