Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ross Carnivore 31 >

Ross Carnivore 31

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ross Carnivore 31

Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ross Carnivore 31

Shop FINALLY got one of these in.

Quick initial impressions/review-

Nicely put together- excellent fit & finish as is typical of BowTech products.

Draw cycle is definitely unique for this day & age- Super smooth. reminds me of the old Hoyt Control cams (early 90s) or even the A (advance) cams. Solid wall, comfy valley thats not like a cat ready to spring.

It was a 70 pound bow which peaked at 78 pounds. It however was a very nice/easy 78 pounds. We had a guy in the shop who had recently had a back surgery and even he got it back with no issues/straining- he was very impressed.

SUPER SUPER QUIET. And NO Vibration whatsoever. Extremely low recoil. Kinda reminded me of a Mathews Swithback or Outback. Very "gentle" to shoot. Not quite Admiral gentle- but close.

Did not chrono it, but it showed a birth cert speed of 309 FPS @ 29/70, which is what my Admiral's BC showed too. So I'm sure she's plenty quick.

Cables have some SERIOUS tension on them.

Only negative for me was the grip- weird squarish shape that is hard to describe and kind of bites into the web between thumb and forefinger. I had a difficult time finding a torque free position. I dont recall the grip on the Ross CR337 I owned way back when feeling like this. I would personally pull the grip and shoot bare riser-maybe have someone make some wood sideplates. Also the grip looks/feels a little cheap- its out of place on such a nicely finished, refined feel bow. Easily remedied though.

I'm not looking for a new bow, but if I was- this would be right at the very top. Impressive B+

Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ross Carnivore 31

It would make for a very nice hunting bow imho.

Derek
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

It does not get near the press it deserves.

IMHO
Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cptleo1

It does not get near the press it deserves.

IMHO
You are right there!! The Carnivore 34 impressed me quickly last Dec. when it arrived and a week later I hauled it to NE. and cartwheeled a couple of Merriam Gobblers.

Once back home I ordered a Carnivore 31 and proceeded to set it up and shoot a Kansas Gobbler with it this spring.

They are both very impressive bows!! Definitely a sleeper in the BowTech, Diamond, & Ross lines!!

Dan
Old 04-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed- I see alot more press (online) for stuff like the Diamond Iceman, Marquis, or BowTech SWAT and I feel the Carnovore is far more impressive than those . And at similar price. Very fair price for what you are getting.

If this whole thing with the Martin had not happened, I'd be selling my Admiral to get the Carnivore 34.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Agreed- I see alot more press (online) for stuff like the Diamond Iceman, Marquis, or BowTech SWAT and I feel the Carnovore is far more impressive than those . And at similar price. Very fair price for what you are getting.

If this whole thing with the Martin had not happened, I'd be selling my Admiral to get the Carnivore 34.
Jeff, I've telling a lot of guys not to overlook the Carnivore when it comes time to look at new bows.

Working the shooting booth/trailer a few weekends this year I don't remember one person that shot the Carnivore, and failed tobe impressed

That Bow given a fair chance will sell itself.

Dan
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I found that it wasn't the grip that pinched the webbing of my hand, but rather that squarish broadhead guard. I submitted feedback early on with my prototype that that piece needed to be radiused off. I actually like the grip, if that metal guard above it were rounded off.

Here'sone of the early reviewsI turned in about the Carnivore:

http://forums.bowhunting.com/yaf_postst1207_A-little-carnage-with-the-new-Ross-Carnivores.aspx
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Jeff, I found that it wasn't the grip that pinched the webbing of my hand, but rather that squarish broadhead guard. I submitted feedback early on with my prototype that that piece needed to be radiused off. I actually like the grip, if that metal guard above it were rounded off.

Here'sone of the early reviewsI turned in about the Carnivore:

http://forums.bowhunting.com/yaf_postst1207_A-little-carnage-with-the-new-Ross-Carnivores.aspx
I thought the guard was quite well rounded- No sharp edges and unobtrusive? Is this something they fixed already Greg?

Like I said the grip is not a huge deal- I'd just pull it off. That was the only thing that struck me as "one of these things just doesn't belong"

Dan- agreed, once shot the bow should sell itself.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not shot the Carnivore yet (probably shouldn't), but when I got my son his Razor's Edge, I looked at and drew most everything in the Bowtech/Diamond/Ross line. The Carnivore 34 was my favorite among all of them. Unless you are addicted to speed, it seems like a great bow.