Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow straightness >

arrow straightness

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow straightness

Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow straightness

Ah yes. CAE! I remember using CAE X-Caliber arrows for a few years. Looking down those flutes and trying to straighten the arrows has probably permanently compromised my vision.

A few things I learned from them were
1. Check a thin walled aluminum arrow frequently for straightness.
2. When your groups go to heck, check the arrows. It might be you, it might not.
3. Any wobble in the point end will make a broadhead fly in the direction the head is pointing as it sits on the bow.
4. Any wobble in the nock end seems to make an arrow just plain erratic.

As to your original post, Jeff, I will take a set of carbons any day over those X-calibers. At least when I have a good shooting carbon, I know that practicing a few shots will not ruin what I am trying to set up. Glad I am not hunting with X-Calibers any more. The Carbon Techs or ACCs are much better, IMHO.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

I perosnally wasn't saying they were bad at all- just saying they are ICSH- which I've shot tons of over the years and which are generally a very good value (though it seems they may have or are slipping). I've had much better luck with ICSH than Goldtip XTs for example.

BUt the Cabelas arrows don't get any special treatment rolling off the production line- just a different label. Just like the orignal stalkers were CAE pultrudeds with a different label.

Maybe they're OLD PRODUCTION, and the QC was better then, but consistently, the Carbon Stalker Extremes that I've shot are better than 2 separate batches of the ICSH's that were the same spec's, which is why I've bought several dozen over the last 3-4yrs or so. I have probably 16-18 that have yet to be shot, at least 8 still not fletched, but they're quite consistent for me. And I've shot them out of bows between 54 and 72# @ 29 - 29.5" DL and 29.5 - 30" arrows, set up the same way, .340 spine with 125 gr. tips, and had great flight characteristics. Granted, the BH flight is a little eratic with the 54-60# set-ups, but I could even get relatively decent flight out of them with BH's even being that severely overspined.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

Ah yes. CAE! I remember using CAE X-Caliber arrows for a few years. Looking down those flutes and trying to straighten the arrows has probably permanently compromised my vision.

A few things I learned from them were
1. Check a thin walled aluminum arrow frequently for straightness.
2. When your groups go to heck, check the arrows. It might be you, it might not.
3. Any wobble in the point end will make a broadhead fly in the direction the head is pointing as it sits on the bow.
4. Any wobble in the nock end seems to make an arrow just plain erratic.

As to your original post, Jeff, I will take a set of carbons any day over those X-calibers. At least when I have a good shooting carbon, I know that practicing a few shots will not ruin what I am trying to set up. Glad I am not hunting with X-Calibers any more. The Carbon Techs or ACCs are much better, IMHO.
I won't comment on those old fluted arrows [:'(]

I was speaking strictly about the pultrudeds, which were amazingly good arrows. The Cabelas versions were actually the "culls" and they compared favorably with the best from AFC/Beman/Easton PCs, etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys got me going a little, and I decided after shooting pretty well, I'd just see if I could hit this arrow at 48yds,and "Holy Batballs!!!" I did it. Not a perfect one, but still pretty cool to do from that distance.

Actually both arrows hit just about 3/4" low on the spot, but I ain't complaining about it none....

First kill of the year!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch- expensive way to prove a point to a bunch of internet hooligans!

All I can say is, see my sig!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Ouch- expensive way to prove a point to a bunch of internet hooligans!

All I can say is, see my sig!
About $5 Jeff, that's why it don't bother me much. The one in my avatar is another $5 or so, but that ain't so bad compared to some of those $150-200/dozen arrow.