Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Straightness >

Arrow Straightness

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Straightness

Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Arrow Straightness

How much of a difference does the straightness of an arrow make for hunting. Are .003's that much better than .006's? And are .001's that much better than .003's?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Straightness

Shoot the straightest shaft you can afford. I've shot .003 Gold Tips for the last 5 years and have taken plenty of game with them. At hunting distances, you aren't going to notice a whole lot of difference. If you can get your broadheads to spin true with no wobble, don't worry about it.

Here is the secret. But the best arrow you can afford, whether that's .003 or .006 straightness. Have them cut from both ends. The reason why is because typical carbon shafts have what is called run out on the ends. This is the least straightest part of the shaft. If you cut from both ends, you'll get a straighter shaft as the end result. I've heard many people report that doing so with a .003 straightness shaft actually gets you pretty close to .001 straightness.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The BEST arrows in the world only have a straightness guarantee of .0015.Some manufactuers exagerate their straightness and other under estimate theirs.

The most important thing is spine tolerances and consistancy.The real issue is that usually,the straighter the arrows tolerances are,usually coincides with it's spine consistancy.

I would never buy a .006 arrow and try to use it for broadheads.There is just no consistancy in these shafts but I love ACC's and they are very consistant in spine and have a .002 straightness.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Spike

when i first got my bow i got 4 shafts with .003 straightness i sighted them in to 20 30 and 40 metres once they were gone i brought some arrows with .006 straightness it made absolutely no difference to accuracyand they went through the paper exactly the sameonly difference it makes isi have more money in my pocket.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I highly doubt that at normal hunting distances there is not a person on this planet that can shoot the difference between a .006 and .001.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The BEST arrows in the world only have a straightness guarantee of .0015.Some manufactuers exagerate their straightness and other under estimate theirs.

The most important thing is spine tolerances and consistancy.The real issue is that usually,the straighter the arrows tolerances are,usually coincides with it's spine consistancy.

I would never buy a .006 arrow and try to use it for broadheads.There is just no consistancy in these shafts but I love ACC's and they are very consistant in spine and have a .002 straightness.
why there is heaps of people that use arrows with this straightness with broadheads i am one of these people it makes no difference they group aswell as the .003's i used to use.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

According to Pope and Young records, average kill distance for whitetail is 18 yards. If you call that 'normal' hunting range, then I doubt very many people will see an appreciable difference in group size between .003 and .006 arrows - assuming consistent spine, and for el cheapo .006 arrows, that's an awfully big assumption. There are plenty of people who can't shoot better than pie plate groups at 20 yards. For them, there is absolutely NO difference between the el cheapo's and good arrows.

Those who want to fling away at animals 40-50 yards downrange, you'd darn sure better be using the straightest, most spine consistent arrows you can get (ACC's would be my choice also or plain, old fashioned aluminum). AND you better be doing lots and lots of practice shooting at 40-50 yards.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what everyone is saying here. While I didnt elude to the whole can of worms spine consistancy brings up, it does have a significant impact on arrow grouping and flight. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic lately as I'm shopping for the next dozen arrows. Easton spine consistancy is supposed to be very good for the money as well as Carbon Tech and Victory. I'm not sure about Carbon Express or Gold Tip. I've shot the Gold Tips for the last 3 years (same dozen...yeah...they're tough) and have been farily pleased with them.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ozbowhunter15

ORIGINAL: TFOX

why there is heaps of people that use arrows with this straightness with broadheads i am one of these people it makes no difference they group aswell as the .003's i used to use.

All things are relative.I want my arrows hitting VERY CLOSE to the same poi with broadheads and fieldpoints.The broadheads are already going to be less forgiving than a field point so when conditions are perfect,I want them hitting the same so that when conditions are not perfect,they are still very close.

I also want my arrows to last,cheap arrows that have inconsistant spine,which .006 arrows don't have,as a rule,will not last.

From a technical side of things,1 would be MUCH better served buying high quality arrows and getting a lower end bow.

I am not buying into the .001 straightnes hype either.
My ACC's have a straightness of .002 and I would put them up against MOST .001 arrows on the market for spine consistancy and accuracy and they last forever.

For targets,I will put the X-10 up against ANY arrow that has a .001 straightness in accuracy and spine consistancy and their straightness rating is .0015.

Basically,I am saying just because they say .001 straightness dose not necessarily mean they are better than some .003 arrows.BUT,as a rule,most will be better than the .006 for broadhead tuning.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I agree with what everyone is saying here. While I didnt elude to the whole can of worms spine consistancy brings up, it does have a significant impact on arrow grouping and flight. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic lately as I'm shopping for the next dozen arrows. Easton spine consistancy is supposed to be very good for the money as well as Carbon Tech and Victory. I'm not sure about Carbon Express or Gold Tip. I've shot the Gold Tips for the last 3 years (same dozen...yeah...they're tough) and have been farily pleased with them.
I think I read somewhere the Gold Tip's manufacturer has changed, and Victory actually utilizes that current manufacturer that Gold Tip used, but I could be wrong. I hear a lot of good things about Victory shafts.