Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 string silencers >

string silencers

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string silencers

Old 04-16-2003, 04:19 PM

Default string silencers

I' m getting ready to install a WC cable and string on my Q2. What does everyone use to quiet the string? I have leaches on now and they seem OK. Is there something better out there?
Old 04-16-2003, 06:50 PM

Default RE: string silencers

leaches work well for sound - if you don' t mind replacing them every other week.

Rubber cat wiskers trimmed up a bit are still IMO the best, cheap, effective, and they last
Old 04-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Rack
Cut the cats whiskers to about the size of a 1/2 dollar.
You only want just enough to take the twang out of the string.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

I' m with Rack and Aussie Guy. I' ve used the whiskers since 1965 but only started trimming them 10 years or so ago. They work for me.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:11 AM

I love my string leech' s. I think they have the best sound and shock dampening out there. They may not last a life time (what does) but they last longer than most people say. I had them on my bow last year and put thousands of shots out before I had to replace them.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:30 AM

I would also agree that string silencers work best, which brand I do not remember what I use. I would throw one word of causion when cutting them down. I think I cut mine down too far and they put off a louder twang than with out them. I personally keep mine just short enough so they do not get caught in the buss cables, about 2 - 2-1/2 " overall length. That is just me, I would suggest cutting them down little by little.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have gone back to leeches since they have put the kevlar in them and so far thay seem to be holding up alot better now. Leeches are great for noise but the durability was a pain in the arse but it looks like they have taken care of that problem.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the inputs. I think I' ll go with the whiskers and cut them down as long as my pro shot has them in stock. BTW, my pro shop was mentioned in the new Bowhunter magazine. Island archer is the shop, mentioned in the article about bowfishing saltwater.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

String leeches are great. The original ones feel apart quickly, the next ones had kevilar and were more durable (I got 2000 shots) Now there are Stealth Leeches and these are truely durable. I got a pair from my dealer who was given a sample at the national archery show. I haven' t seen these anywhere yet, but they must be coming out soon. By the way they work great and they look different than the first two leech versions. These have a longer contact area on the string.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Fork Horn

The stealth leeches came on my new razortec. But i don' t use them, i don' t use anything on my string except cat whiskers.