Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 staggering blazer vanes >

staggering blazer vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

staggering blazer vanes

Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default staggering blazer vanes

I was looking at video on youtube of a guy shooting the admiral and he staggered his vanes so they pretty much covered the same area as what a 4 in. vane would cover I had never seen this and was wondering if anyone has tried this and if they stabilized broadheads any better than when they are just configured in a normal fashion.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 AM

Default RE: staggering blazer vanes

I can't see any benefit of placing some vanes further forward. Vanesoffer the most control at the rear of the arrow. I think the staggered Blazers are just a "personalized" way of fletching.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats Donny (donnie) from MN. I worked with him @ the ATA show when I was with BT- Really nice guy, love his accent, and how he describes EVERYTHING (even the machining) as Smooooooooooth.

It makes sense to me- kind of cheating to get the airflow the same as over a 4" or larger vane. I've never tried it, but can't hurt to give a test, no?

Something easier would be the old Bi-Delta vanes. I used to use them- they work (but were not terribly durable or easy to fletch)

Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

If you want to fletch your vanes staggered, go ahead, you aren't going to hurt anything. However there is no real benefit to fletching them this way. The area of the vanes are the same either way so nothing is really gained.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why would you add more weight to the back of an arrow reducing your FOC? Blazers are the most stable vane on the market, I shoot a 220 gain broad head and blazers hold it right on. Gimmicks are a dime a dozen, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

well I was in the market for new arrows and was thinking about setting them up with staggered blazers but now I may just stick with normal placement.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would it add weight in the back of the arrow Rev? There are still teh same amount of vanes, which means the same amount of weight.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot many target arrows with staggard flex fletch,which I will take over blazers any day of the week for targets.Much lighter and much more flexible and the best memory I have ever seen.They won't work for broadheads though.To tell you the truth,I couldn't tell a difference in the staggard vanes.I could shoot them with standard fletch and they would all hit the same.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's my understanding that thefirstguy who staggered his fletchings had a nocking point that caused them to contact his face, if you don't have this problem why change. Another potential problem is with whisker biscuits, the fletchings won't pass through the bristles simultaniously which could cause your arrows to wobble.