Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wrong Arrows???

Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Default Wrong Arrows???

I am wondering if my arrows are too light/wrong spine?

Here's the deal:

When I shoot, I am seeing what seems to be a pretty sever "wobble"from the arrows within the first few yards of the shot. It is almost as if the back of the arrow does this huge circle.

Arrow set-up:
Beman ICS Venture 340 (Just over 27")
75 gr. Field tip
Blazers

Bow Set-up:
Diamond Marquis 70#
Draw Length: 30"
Whisker Biscuit

Yes, I do realize that the arrows are cut REALLY short. After reading several post on here, I realize they are probably dangerously short, especially tipped with a broadhead. I have shot some old arrows that I have (Bass Pro specials - Red Head, I believe), they are longer and heavier with 100 gr. field tips. They don't have a "wobble" and seem to fly much better. Lighter/faster vs. Heavier/slower argument again.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wrong Arrows???

Sounds liek you may be underspined, id try the same arrow in 400.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just ran your numbers the arrows are optium spine but the FOC is down only 9.3

If you go to a 100 gr head your spine is still in the green but the FOC comes up to 11.9

Better still if you go to a 125gr head you are still in the green and the FOC is 14.1

Try 100 and 125gr heads and see how they fly.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are seriously mismatched , get some 30 inch arrows that spine correctly , they wont be 400's .

get a dozen as close to identical as possible

tune your bow , yourself , and your arrows
Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

i would have to say you too light at the end.. go with some heavier tips.. and if that dont help take your bow to a shop and have them make sure everything is level and shooting straight.. good luck

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Spike

I would also go with some heavier tips, I personally with your specs would go with 125 gr. heads. I think your spine is ok, but some high quality arrows will make a difference in flight. Also make sure your bow is tuned properly. A descent place to start is a paper tune just to see how your arrow is coming off the bow, that can tell you alot. I prefer french tuning then broadhead tuning but that is just me. Keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the input.

I have some Maximas on order that will be cut more to length than the Ventures are. They should fly better, expecially when I get my new Grizz Tricks screwed into them. (Grizz Tricks should arrive tomorrow. Thank you, Dan and MeanV Archery.)

I anticipate the problem being eradicated by the new arrows, but just to put you guys theories to the test, I will screw in some 100 gr. tips and see if that helps the flight of the Ventures. I don't have any 125 gr., but the 100's should tell the tale.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Sounds liek you may be underspined, id try the same arrow in 400.
340 is the RIGHT spine, 400's are a lower spine than 340's!!!!

XXXL,
If you have arrows already on order, don't get them cut quite that short. You've got a 30" DL, you don't really gain that much by shorting yourself on arrows, 3-5fps really ain't that much of a gain, for arrows that could be more of a problem than benefit. Also, get rid of the light little 75gr tip, because it's WAY TOO LIGHT, and that is likely part of your problem. Get your FOC up around 12% or better, and your arrows will fly better. You're actually OVERSPINED significantly, with an FOC of only about 8%, which IS the main problem with your set-up. Also as said above, you will be surprised how much you gain by getting a little "better" arrow. The Cabela's Arrows in my sig. line are pretty good quality and I'm getting them for $52/dozen, cut to my specifications, and then I do them up with vanes of blazers depending on what bow I'm shooting them out of. The easily run under $70/dozen for .003 straightness arrows at 9.3gpi, and a +/- 2gr variance per dozen. Not the best arrows by spec's, but certainly tough arrows that have treated me quite well. I have RH'd 6 of them in the past few years, so their pretty consistent for that to have happened, and those RH's were with 3 different bows.