Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wife bought me the wrong arrows >

Wife bought me the wrong arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wife bought me the wrong arrows

Old 01-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wife bought me the wrong arrows

I asked for some new arrows this year for Christmas. I have been shooting 24" Carbon Express 45/60 Terminator Selects and I like them. I wrote down what I needed and told my wife to take one of my arrows with her if she bought them so they could be cut to length. I have exactly one CX200 arrow in with my others and she picked it to take with her! [:'(]

It wasn't her fault, but they cut the new arrows to length and then, when she heard the price was $23.00 more than I told her they would be, she noticed what I had written down. The guy at the shop said to see if I could make them work and if I couldn't maybe we could "work something out."

My question is this, should I go to the trouble of fletching a couple to see if I can make them work? I know the one arrow I have (same length) shoots higher than my others, but I KNOW I'm gonna lose out if I go back to the shop. I'd be lucky to get an even trade and that would mean I'd lose $23.00 my wife paid over the price she would have paid.

My set-up is a Hoyt Razortec set at 70-lbs and a 27" draw length. Should the CX200's shoot the same . . . or should I just "suck it up" and make the exchange?
Old 01-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wife bought me the wrong arrows

I know there are some guys here who are fairly knowledgeable about carbon arrows. Are the CX200's worth an extra $23.00/dozen?
Old 01-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, wish I could help you man, but I know very little about game tracker arrows. I did look on their website, and it seems like the arrows you got should work with your setup. I did not see how much they weighed though.

Might be getting pretty light on total arrow weight at 24" shafts.

Lots of guys use carbon express arrows, somebody will come along and help you out.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave--the first question than came to mind concerns your set up.
You have mentioned you are pulling 70 # with a 27" draw length--and using a 24" shaft. I am left to assume you're using an overdraw given that your shaft is 24" in length.
The shaft is correctly measured from, the 'bottom of the nock groove to the end of the shaft' (immediately behind your insert). Given that your information is correct, I will provide some numbers, (rough estimate), for you to look at.
Estimate:- The 45/60 Terminator Selects weight about 9.5 grains per inch, so the 24" shaft (alone) would weigh about (9.5 X 24) = 228 G. Assuming you using a 100 grain head, (125 or 85 then add that amount), about 15 grains for your insert, 10 for your nock, and again assuming the shaft is fletched with 3 - 4" vanes (each 4" vane about 8 grains) that will give us another 32 grains.
The weight of your total arrow would be around 385 grains---give or take a few grains.
The CX 200:- The weight here is 7 grains/per inch, so ( 24" X 7) = 168 grains. Going with the same set-up with the 45/60 Terminator, this arrow would weigh about 325 grains--give or take a few grains.
Some bow manufactures advise, an arrow has at least 5 grains for every pound the bow is set at--in your case 70 pounds X 5 grains, we're looking at about 350 grains.
This being the case the CX200 @ 24" will be a little on the light side for your set up--where as the 45/60 will be just fine.
Lighter (than recommended) arrows will fly faster (leaving the bow), but will increase the noise. Can also cause damage to the bow. The heavier arrow will maintain the durability and enhance penetration, providing all things being equal of course, draw weight, arrow length, etc.
If I were in your position, I would return the CX200--your 45/60 will work just fine.
The price of your bow, and yourself, is worth much more than $23.
Sometimes we can't win 'em all!!
Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help. The total arrow weight for my set-up is 402 grains weighed on an arrow scale (I use 125 grain heads). That's for the 45/60's.

I don't have an overdraw on the bow, it's just the design of the bow that has the arrow shorter than the draw length--suprised me at first too.

I'm planning on going to the shop today and getting the best exchange I can. The Terminator Selects have been very good to me and I don't see a good reason to change--even if it ends up costing me.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have done the same thing, return the CX and strick with what you 'know' works.
I guess were it not for the error in calculating the vanes & assuming a 100 BH instead of the 125 you are actually using--I said the vanes were 32 grains--but that should have been 24 ( 3 vanes @8G ea---I mistakenly calculated for 4 vanes)..the estimate would have been there.
45/60 shaft 228g, 125g BH, 15g Insert, 10g Nock & 24g vanes = 402g total. Just like you said.
Still with the CX200 and the 125 BH (same set up) it would have weighed about 342 grains, you would have dropped short about 8 grains for recommended spec---5 grains /per pound.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I exchanged them. At first, they were gonna charge me $20.00 for a dozen since they said the arrows I was returning were too short for most people. However, when I pointed out that I was already losing over $25 in the exchange (yeah, it was even more than I had originally thought), he relented--especially considering that I have been a very good customer there. I got an even-up exchange and gues I should consider myself lucky to only be out $25.

I KNOW these work in my bow!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

All's well that ends well. I would bet you would not hesitate to return to the shop again and to support the guys business, in the relentless desire to fulfill the bow hunting needs. Customer satisfaction and good customer service will, at least, keep the door of business open.
As for the loss in the exchange, well he ain't lying--24" arrows isn't the common, average length arrow to get rid of very easily.
I would say it was a pretty fair compromise.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good move,on your part and the shop.

The shop will have your buisness for a long time to come and your friends buisness because you are sure to spread the good word.I wish more shops understood the customer service issue.

As for the short arrows being hard to sell.They will be harder to sell than a longer shaft but there are enough shooters out there that need shorter arrows and he will be able to get rid of them,mainly because he obviously has good customer service so I am sure he has a broad customer base.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:46 PM

uhhh, if you want it done right do it yourself. [:-]