Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 75 grain broadhead >

75 grain broadhead

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

75 grain broadhead

Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 75 grain broadhead

I posted this in the bowhunting forum, but thougth it would be better over here

I recently set up a bow for a man. The bow is a compound, set at 60lbs, and he insisted on me tuning his arrows to a 75 grain head. I asked him why, he just said, "thats what I want." I might have been spending to much time in the trad world where we tend to like a larger foc. Im not quite sure why he wants a light head. Yea it speeds up the arrow, but is loud. I also wonder about penetration. Anyone here use 75 grain, if so, what is the advantage?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM

Default RE: 75 grain broadhead

I don't really see any major advantages with that light of a head. This guy is probably just one of them speed freaks.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not totally about speed, although I like what I can get. I have used 75gr Wasps and now am using a 75gr Innerloc, well, for about 4 years now.

Each setup is going to be different. You always have to have enough FOC to balance things out, but the main advantage to lighter heads is that usually they have a narrower cut so don't wind plane as bad. This also allows for more ease in tuning for good flight.

Penetration is not an issue with them. Penetration is a result of total arrow weight X velocity squared. The point, whether it is 75gr or 125 gr is just part of the mass of the arrow and in and of itself has little bearing on penetration so long as the blades are sharp.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I just couldnt figure out what he was trying to accomplish. Mind you, I have not worked on compounds in a few years. I have been backed up on traditional bow orders. I got backed up due to a wood order not ariveing. I just finished building my last two custom bow and agreed to put together a compound for this guy. My concern is that the inertia of the arrow is going to be spread over the length of the arrow instead of the head. In the trad world we accommodatefor this by going heavy, 125-200+ grain heads. His arrows did not penetrate my target near as well as a heavier head would. Too light of spine for my taste, to get these arrows to fly true. I feel he is loseing too much energy along the shaft after impact. I guess to each his own.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

With most of today's shorter ferrule length BH's tuning is a snap andI personally like as big a cutting diameter as I can get with a BH. There is just no reason to not be using a 1" plus BH.

Trying to compare traditional bow set-ups to compounds is tough. A 60 lb compound today is probably like a 80 or 90 lb traditional bow.Heck, a 60 lb compound bow now is like a 70+ lb compound bow from just a few years ago. The bows produce more energy which would allow for a lighter set-up.Even noew models this year at 60 are as fasst as last year's 70's. However, I've never agreed on using a head that light. It seems that many people lean toward the lighter the draw weight the lighter the arrowwhen they should be thinking the opposite. The more power the bow has the more you can get away with a lighter set-up.

The biggest issue is exactly what Burnie has in his thread. The lighter the head the lighter and thinner the shaft will be. The thinner the shaft the more deflection upon impact. The more deflection the more lost energy and momentum and therefore decreased penetration. I've watched traditional shooters shooting light set-ups and the amount of penetration they get is extremely poor. Especially when they are using 45 or 50 lb bows.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Be careful comparing trad setups to modern day compounds. It's not an apples to apples comparison. If the guy can find an arrow that's properly spined and has enough FOC, what's wrong with a 75gr tip? Compounds are highly efficient machines, which why we can get away hunting with lightweight arrowsthatwould not be a good idea with a recurve or longbow.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow would have to be very light to get good FOC. Even if they are efficient that does not mean you try to go as light as possible and it's still all good. Without the weight behind it speed means nothing. Even if you spine properly and have correct FOC it's still a light arrow out of a bow that produces low KE.I'd rather see a man, woman, or teenwith a 45-50 lb bow shoot a 500 gr arrow 220 FPS then a 320 gr arrow 270 fps.

I think that is something a lot of people are overlooking. When we had the older slower bows (in theearly to mid 80's)we also shot heavier arrows. I used to shoot a 30" 2219 arrow with a 135 gr tip (about 580 gr)at 220 fps and that was considered good. Then the 75 gr and such tips came from 3-D shooters who wanted to shoot flatter so that if they misjudged by a little they were fine. Then, the BH manufacturers started to pander to that crowd and the 75 gr BH was born.

The 1 point that I agreeon many of the guys that preach heavy FOC arrowsis that for people with low DW's they should be using a heavy tip wit ha stiff arrow.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Be careful comparing trad setups to modern day compounds. It's not an apples to apples comparison. If the guy can find an arrow that's properly spined and has enough FOC, what's wrong with a 75gr tip? Compounds are highly efficient machines, which why we can get away hunting with lightweight arrowsthatwould not be a good idea with a recurve or longbow.
Dont get me wrong, I still shoot a compound. Just dont pick it up much. I only grab the compound when i have been to busy to practice much before the season. My favorite compound is a set up I put together from a Hoyt powertec riser, razortec limbs and redline cam and idler. I get over 315 fps at 70lbs. I still dont use anything less than 100 grain tip. I only went with 100 grain tips so I could get a flatter shooter for a particular hunting spot to where the closest shot I would get was 35 yards.Even with that said, im switching back to a heavier head. I dont get the foc I like and do not like the penetrations im getting with it. The reason I asked this question was because this guy is hunting in thick cover. He will never take a shot over 15 yards. 20 in only one area. He is a friend of mine, and he couldnt really reason why he wanted it, just because. Well he said he knew of a guy who hunts elk with a 75grain head, so I guess that is where he got the notion. We are eat up with hogs here in Texas, and Im interested to see how well this set up does on them. I guess Ill find out this weekend. That is if it cools down enough to get the hogs moving during day light.[:@]

I just put together a longbow for me to use this season. A reflexed/deflexed bamboo backed ipe long bow. 64lbs at 30" (yea, I got monkey arms). It penetrates my target much better than this compound spitting light arrows, and im shooting a 650 grain arrow out of it. Its been two years since I quit putting together compounds, and just thought there might be something I was missing. Ill be hunting with my new longbow this weekend. If it is not what I like, ive got a nice log of Osage orange that will be turned into an osage bamboo tri lam Reflexed deflexed long bow. I hope the hogs are moving, Im real curious how well his set up will work on them.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Dont get me wrong, I still shoot a compound. Just dont pick it up much. I only grab the compound when i have been to busy to practice much before the season. My favorite compound is a set up I put together from a Hoyt powertec riser, razortec limbs and redline cam and idler. I get over 315 fps at 70lbs. I still dont use anything less than 100 grain tip. I only went with 100 grain tips so I could get a flatter shooter for a particular hunting spot to where the closest shot I would get was 35 yards.Even with that said, im switching back to a heavier head. I dont get the foc I like and do not like the penetrations im getting with it. The reason I asked this question was because this guy is hunting in thick cover. He will never take a shot over 15 yards. 20 in only one area. He is a friend of mine, and he couldnt really reason why he wanted it, just because. Well he said he knew of a guy who hunts elk with a 75grain head, so I guess that is where he got the notion. We are eat up with hogs here in Texas, and Im interested to see how well this set up does on them. I guess Ill find out this weekend. That is if it cools down enough to get the hogs moving during day light.[:@]

I just put together a longbow for me to use this season. A reflexed/deflexed bamboo backed ipe long bow. 64lbs at 30" (yea, I got monkey arms). It penetrates my target much better than this compound spitting light arrows, and im shooting a 650 grain arrow out of it. Its been two years since I quit putting together compounds, and just thought there might be something I was missing. Ill be hunting with my new longbow this weekend. If it is not what I like, ive got a nice log of Osage orange that will be turned into an osage bamboo tri lam Reflexed deflexed long bow. I hope the hogs are moving, Im real curious how well his set up will work on them.
The big qualifier is "if" the guy can find the right arrow for a 75 gr tip. And I agree, that'll be a big pain in the butt. He doesn't realize how much simpler life will be if he went with a 100gr point.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

The arrow would have to be very light to get good FOC. Even if they are efficient that does not mean you try to go as light as possible and it's still all good. Without the weight behind it speed means nothing. Even if you spine properly and have correct FOC it's still a light arrow out of a bow that produces low KE.I'd rather see a man, woman, or teenwith a 45-50 lb bow shoot a 500 gr arrow 220 FPS then a 320 gr arrow 270 fps.

I think that is something a lot of people are overlooking. When we had the older slower bows (in theearly to mid 80's)we also shot heavier arrows. I used to shoot a 30" 2219 arrow with a 135 gr tip (about 580 gr)at 220 fps and that was considered good. Then the 75 gr and such tips came from 3-D shooters who wanted to shoot flatter so that if they misjudged by a little they were fine. Then, the BH manufacturers started to pander to that crowd and the 75 gr BH was born.

The 1 point that I agreeon many of the guys that preach heavy FOC arrowsis that for people with low DW's they should be using a heavy tip wit ha stiff arrow.
There's absolutely no reason for someone shooting a modern compound at 50lbs to shoot a 500gr arrow. None. That's way beyond any gains in kinetic energy to be gotten and that arrow will drop like a friggin' rock. No thanks.

Quick Reply: 75 grain broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.