HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 75 grain broadhead
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
davepjr71
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 75 grain broadhead

With most of today's shorter ferrule length BH's tuning is a snap andI personally like as big a cutting diameter as I can get with a BH. There is just no reason to not be using a 1" plus BH.

Trying to compare traditional bow set-ups to compounds is tough. A 60 lb compound today is probably like a 80 or 90 lb traditional bow.Heck, a 60 lb compound bow now is like a 70+ lb compound bow from just a few years ago. The bows produce more energy which would allow for a lighter set-up.Even noew models this year at 60 are as fasst as last year's 70's. However, I've never agreed on using a head that light. It seems that many people lean toward the lighter the draw weight the lighter the arrowwhen they should be thinking the opposite. The more power the bow has the more you can get away with a lighter set-up.

The biggest issue is exactly what Burnie has in his thread. The lighter the head the lighter and thinner the shaft will be. The thinner the shaft the more deflection upon impact. The more deflection the more lost energy and momentum and therefore decreased penetration. I've watched traditional shooters shooting light set-ups and the amount of penetration they get is extremely poor. Especially when they are using 45 or 50 lb bows.