HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 75 grain broadhead
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Doegirl75

Default RE: 75 grain broadhead

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Be careful comparing trad setups to modern day compounds. It's not an apples to apples comparison. If the guy can find an arrow that's properly spined and has enough FOC, what's wrong with a 75gr tip? Compounds are highly efficient machines, which why we can get away hunting with lightweight arrowsthatwould not be a good idea with a recurve or longbow.
Dont get me wrong, I still shoot a compound. Just dont pick it up much. I only grab the compound when i have been to busy to practice much before the season. My favorite compound is a set up I put together from a Hoyt powertec riser, razortec limbs and redline cam and idler. I get over 315 fps at 70lbs. I still dont use anything less than 100 grain tip. I only went with 100 grain tips so I could get a flatter shooter for a particular hunting spot to where the closest shot I would get was 35 yards.Even with that said, im switching back to a heavier head. I dont get the foc I like and do not like the penetrations im getting with it. The reason I asked this question was because this guy is hunting in thick cover. He will never take a shot over 15 yards. 20 in only one area. He is a friend of mine, and he couldnt really reason why he wanted it, just because. Well he said he knew of a guy who hunts elk with a 75grain head, so I guess that is where he got the notion. We are eat up with hogs here in Texas, and Im interested to see how well this set up does on them. I guess Ill find out this weekend. That is if it cools down enough to get the hogs moving during day light.[:@]

I just put together a longbow for me to use this season. A reflexed/deflexed bamboo backed ipe long bow. 64lbs at 30" (yea, I got monkey arms). It penetrates my target much better than this compound spitting light arrows, and im shooting a 650 grain arrow out of it. Its been two years since I quit putting together compounds, and just thought there might be something I was missing. Ill be hunting with my new longbow this weekend. If it is not what I like, ive got a nice log of Osage orange that will be turned into an osage bamboo tri lam Reflexed deflexed long bow. I hope the hogs are moving, Im real curious how well his set up will work on them.
The big qualifier is "if" the guy can find the right arrow for a 75 gr tip. And I agree, that'll be a big pain in the butt. He doesn't realize how much simpler life will be if he went with a 100gr point.