Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 75 grain broadhead >

75 grain broadhead

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

75 grain broadhead

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 75 grain broadhead

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

There's absolutely no reason for someone shooting a modern compound at 50lbs to shoot a 500gr arrow. None. That's way beyond any gains in kinetic energy to be gotten and that arrow will drop like a friggin' rock. No thanks.
Actually, you're wrong one both accounts. Going from 340 to a 500 gr arrow on a 50# BT Equalizer (Is that what you shoot??), you'd gain 5ft/# of KE. 280 gr to 500 gr, you pick up nearly 9ft/#, and almost 50% of the momentum!!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should shoot a 500gr arrow, but if you really want the most "efficiency" out of your bow, you'll do better upping the arrow weight, than shooting a light near IBO arrow.

EDIT: those numbers were also based on a 28" draw, dropping the DL changes it significantly I should note, and that's using OT2, which I know over-estimates speed a little.

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I just couldnt figure out what he was trying to accomplish. Mind you, I have not worked on compounds in a few years. I have been backed up on traditional bow orders. I got backed up due to a wood order not ariveing. I just finished building my last two custom bow and agreed to put together a compound for this guy. My concern is that the inertia of the arrow is going to be spread over the length of the arrow instead of the head. In the trad world we accommodatefor this by going heavy, 125-200+ grain heads. His arrows did not penetrate my target near as well as a heavier head would. Too light of spine for my taste, to get these arrows to fly true. I feel he is loseing too much energy along the shaft after impact. I guess to each his own.
Agreed 100%. I notice a little difference just switching back and forth between 100 and 125 grain tips on arrows that are 415 and 440 grains. And that's only a 20% increase, not a 25% + increase if this guy were to slap 100gr or better tips on the arrows, plus a higher FOC would seem better for penetration in my mind anyhow.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

There's absolutely no reason for someone shooting a modern compound at 50lbs to shoot a 500gr arrow. None. That's way beyond any gains in kinetic energy to be gotten and that arrow will drop like a friggin' rock. No thanks.
Actually, you're wrong one both accounts. Going from 340 to a 500 gr arrow on a 50# BT Equalizer (Is that what you shoot??), you'd gain 5ft/# of KE. 280 gr to 500 gr, you pick up nearly 9ft/#, and almost 50% of the momentum!!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should shoot a 500gr arrow, but if you really want the most "efficiency" out of your bow, you'll do better upping the arrow weight, than shooting a light near IBO arrow.

EDIT: those numbers were also based on a 28" draw, dropping the DL changes it significantly I should note, and that's using OT2, which I know over-estimates speed a little.
No, I'm not. Most of the KE gained is going from 250grains to 400grains (5ft lbs). After 400grains, the gains slow significantly, gaining just 2.31ftlbs. Going over 500 grains, I start lose KE in very small amounts. Couple that with a rainbow trajectory and it's just not worth it. And "efficiency" does not kill a deer. A well place shot does that.
FYI: The speeds OT2 displays for BT Equalizer are incorrect. It's about 23fps slower than what it should be.

Guys-lets stop hijacking this thread. If you want to argue with me, great, feel free to PM me or start another thread. I will no longer respond on this thread.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

burniestarted the thread to discuss why you would use 85 gr tips. We stated why and why we disagree with it. That's not hijacking a thread.

As far as a rainbow shot you must not have shot a lot of bows to know that simply isn't true at normal archery ranges. My arrows did not rainbow at normal kill ranges that's all that matters. You are the one that stated "Compounds are highly efficient machines."

And, if 400 gr arrow gives you more KE why not use it when you have a light set-up? Also, there is more than just KE that matters, penetration and momentum.

And one last thing, you have to make sure it's a well placed shot or it will be a very poor shot. Why not give yourself a better chance on a misplaced shot?

Listen, I'm the last one to tell anyone they need to use a 500+ gr arrow and never stated you should. I'm simply stating that people overestimate how great today's low poundage bows are and if they are going to compare them to bows from 20 yrs ago that were 20 lb heavier in DW they need to realize that we used much heavier arrows with the slower bows. Therefore, unless you are going to use the same arrows you can not call them equal.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I have always been of the opinion that you should let your tip weight compliment your arrow and your bow. I shoot a 29.5" 340 ST Axis with a 125 gr tip. I shoot it at 61#s off a HCA Iron Mace, which has a very hard two cam system (same as a bowtech). When I was shooting 400s with 100gr tips, I was getting a weak arrow reaction. When I went to 340s with 100gr tips, it was just a bit stiff. Putting those 125s on the front made all the difference in the world. Yes the FOC went up, but more importantly those arrows fly like a dream. 450grs at 280 from a 61# bow. I think the arrow will make it through.

My girlfriend is shooting a 42# Hoyt Trykon. I forget exactly what her arrow weight is, but its fairly light, mostly just because thats what was available to us. We keep her shots inside 25 yards (though she has yet to get a shot opportunity). Her arrows I think weight something like 340gr, and they are going at around 220fps. I have her set up with 100gr Strikers. Her arrows fly very well. I've been working with her to up her poundage just a bit... I'd like to get her shooting above 45#s.... 50 if possible.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can shoot light arrows, medium weight arrows, or heavy weight arrows. If you are shooting Whitetails with modern equipment I doubt it makes a meaningful difference.
I will say if you shoot fixed blade Broadheads you should maintain at least 12% to 15% FOC. I prefer to stay on the higher side of FOC.
I have several setsof arrows ranging from 329 grains to 505 grains, and one thing they all have in common is adequate FOC.
Too many people shoot too light a broadhead trying to gain 4 to 5 fps. What a waste.

Dan

Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a good article in the latest Deer & Deer Hunting Mag about this topic about trying to gain a few FPS. One thing too many peopledo not think aboutis that you may have 50 ft-lb at the bow but down range it drops off dramatically and the rule of thumb is 50 ft-lb at the deer not at your bow and you shouldn't rely just on KE.

For every 5 grains you loose about 1 fps. So, if people would just go to 100 gr tips they'd only loose about4-6 fps at the bow but not as much down range since a lighter arrow slows down faster then a heavier one.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

High focs are what you should try for , makes steering the arrow easier for the fletching .[ I might add I used to not care , that is until I saw results form my own experiments ]

Out of the same bow heavier arrows will always penetrate better than light arrows given that the shaft diameter is the same ,if you don't believe me try it .
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Spike

Default 75 grain vortex

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
I posted this in the bowhunting forum, but thougth it would be better over here

I recently set up a bow for a man. The bow is a compound, set at 60lbs, and he insisted on me tuning his arrows to a 75 grain head. I asked him why, he just said, "thats what I want." I might have been spending to much time in the trad world where we tend to like a larger foc. Im not quite sure why he wants a light head. Yea it speeds up the arrow, but is loud. I also wonder about penetration. Anyone here use 75 grain, if so, what is the advantage?
I have used the vortex 75 grain for many years with great success. Taken a lot of deer and hog's with the broadhead. Many run no more than 30 yards before pilling up. My reason for shooting the small grain is speed, sound of your bow and arrow is heard by deer with ever bow and arrow shot; the trick is to get the arrow there before they can react to sound. Hope this helps you make up your mind if you want speed this will help and they fly like feild piont too. Jimbo good hunting!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Burnie, you've seen what I shoot so I can't comment on why they would want to shoot so light up from. I'm getting 82 K.E. with my 220 grn. Muzzy Phantoms, and quite too. 21% FOC. I guess to each his own.