Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 75 grain broadhead >

75 grain broadhead

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

75 grain broadhead

Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 75 grain broadhead

If the 50 lb is equivalent to the old 65 lb or70 lbbowthen the bow should have no problems shooting it. KE would increase dramatically and momentum will be much greater. The arrow will still be over 220 fps easy which is plenty fast enough for deer.

I'd be more worried about arrow penetration with a poor shot then how much an arrow drops. As for it dropping like a rock. Someone is filling your head with a load. At normal archery rangeit is not an issue at all.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM

I think the only "load" here is the notion that one must shoot a ridiculously heavy arrow to make up for shooting a lightweight bow. It simply is not true and especially so for smaller thin skinned game like deer. I will take a few pounds loss in KE for flatter trajectory and more precise arrow placement, IMHO.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75
There's absolutely no reason for someone shooting a modern compound at 50lbs to shoot a 500gr arrow. None. That's way beyond any gains in kinetic energy to be gotten and that arrow will drop like a friggin' rock. No thanks.
Ever bowhunt mountain goats or brown bear? There's at least two reasons. Aside from the fact that heavier arrows tune easier, are more forgiving and shoot quieter.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

There's absolutely no reason for someone shooting a modern compound at 50lbs to shoot a 500gr arrow. None. That's way beyond any gains in kinetic energy to be gotten and that arrow will drop like a friggin' rock. No thanks.
Ever bowhunt mountain goats or brown bear? There's at least two reasons. Aside from the fact that heavier arrows tune easier, are more forgiving and shoot quieter.
Brown Bear with a 50lb bow, I will pass. The point is that a 10gpp arrow is way beyond the point of any usable gains. I may reconsider when I work up to that 80lb bow and go after Cape Buffalo (or Brown Bear).
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not true when you have a light set-up. If you were shooting a 70 lb bow that would be different. I watch enough shows where women shoot light set-ups and the arrows only go 6" into the animal. Even one where the deer jumped the string and somehow managed to flip the arrow over with it's leg. I guess that's acceptable on thin skinned game.

What you consider ridiculously heavy is what many consider normal. More precise arrow placement? It's called practice more. With my old set-up I could hit 1 small piece of playing card consistently at 35 yds. Well within normal bow ranges for deer. I'm not a target shooter but those guys use heavy arrows at long ranges and are pretty darn accurate.

I never said you need to use 500 gr. I stated that we used to use it and very accurately at ranges that are still shot at today. Everyone wants some major arrow that will shoot the same spot out to 100 yds. It just doesn't exist even with a bow like mineand if people would practice enough they'd learn to judge distances and not really on the equipment to do the work for them.30 fps just isn't really that much flatter shooting.

Your last sentence says it all. You think that you only use heavy arrows if shooting a heavy bow when in fact it should be the reverse of that.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Not true when you have a light set-up. If you were shooting a 70 lb bow that would be different. I watch enough shows where women shoot light set-ups and the arrows only go 6" into the animal. Even one where the deer jumped the string and somehow managed to flip the arrow over with it's leg. I guess that's acceptable on thin skinned game.

What you consider ridiculously heavy is what many consider normal. More precise arrow placement? It's called practice more. With my old set-up I could hit 1 small piece of playing card consistently at 35 yds. Well within normal bow ranges for deer. I'm not a target shooter but those guys use heavy arrows at long ranges and are pretty darn accurate.

I never said you need to use 500 gr. I stated that we used to use it and very accurately at ranges that are still shot at today. Everyone wants some major arrow that will shoot the same spot out to 100 yds. It just doesn't exist even with a bow like mineand if people would practice enough they'd learn to judge distances and not really on the equipment to do the work for them.30 fps just isn't really that much flatter shooting.

Your last sentence says it all. You think that you only use heavy arrows if shooting a heavy bow when in fact it should be the reverse of that.
I do believeI've seenplenty of guys on the hunting shows who's arrows are sticking half way out deers chest cavity as it runs. What's their excuse? I think alotof the pee-poor penetration we seeon these shows is due to innappropriate broadhead selection, as opposed to the use of lightweight arrows. If I can get a passthru on a 300lb hog with a309grain arrow @ 49lbs, what the heck are they doing wrong? [&:]
What I meant by my last sentence was more about matching the setup to the game. A Cape Buff is certainly worthwhile the trouble of setting up a super heavy arrow. But a whitetail-why? Even with a low draw weight, short draw setup like mine.Put on a fixed blade chisel tip or better yet a cut on contact broadhead with a conservative cutting diameter and you're good to go.
Would I use a heavier arrow for bigger game like elk-YES. It probably will not weigh 500grains, but it will be heavier than 309.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM

My apologies to Burniegoeasily for the hijack. [&o]
Didn't mean for this to start into a light vs. heavy arrow war.
Hope you can find this customer that "magic arrow" or he'll figure out that the 100gr tip will serve him better.
And, remember, the customer is always "right"
I do use 85grain tips, but my arrows are short and light. Right now the FOC is about 13%. The only arrow that I use 75grain tips on are the Goldtip Ultralights.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 AM

I've killed several deer with 75 grain heads, specifically the Rocket Miniblaster & Wolverine; the Miniblasters were some of the consistently shortest blood trails I've had.
My wife has successfully used the Muzzy 75 a couple of times.

This is an estimate based on my own arrows, but with an arrow like the CX Maxima 250, or Carbon Tech Cheetah 400 your FOC will be at 10% with a 75 grain tip, if you use feather fletching, no wrap, and the arrow is cut to about 28.5''

I'm not using 75 grain tips now, because I've developed a taste for wraps and Blazers.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

My apologies to Burniegoeasily for the hijack. [&o]
Didn't mean for this to start into a light vs. heavy arrow war.
Hope you can find this customer that "magic arrow" or he'll figure out that the 100gr tip will serve him better.
And, remember, the customer is always "right"
I do use 85grain tips, but my arrows are short and light. Right now the FOC is about 13%. The only arrow that I use 75grain tips on are the Goldtip Ultralights.
No problem. I was just curious, and this has been a good debate over light fast vs heavy slow. To each his own. If it works, dont change it. Ive been shooting trad gear since the late 70s. Picked up my first compound in the early 80s. Started working on compounds in the 90s, and started making custom trad bows in the early 2000s. I have not spent much time working on compounds since 2000, so I thought some new school of thought had come about since then. It appears its still the same goal, just different aproaches to achieve it.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM

High Coutry even made 55 grainers to go with their extremely light carbon arrows. If anyone wants some I think I've got a few laying around NIB they can have for the cost of shipping them. Come to think of it, I've got some 85 grain Thunderheads laying around NIB too. I never could sell them to anyone in good conscience.

Quick Reply: 75 grain broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.