Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Straightness - How Much Does it Matter? >

Arrow Straightness - How Much Does it Matter?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Straightness - How Much Does it Matter?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Straightness - How Much Does it Matter?

Didn't think about the stuff plugging the ends and was never sure about it indicating the stiffest part of the spine. It is a pleasure to read your replies. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may have a point. But the arrow spins great even with the blazers. WhenI do the slow rotate it will flip to a side.

Maybe to test your theory I'll move the arrow so the spinner disks are near the nock. If the bend is indeed at the end the arrow should flip the exact oppposite way if the spinners wheel are on the apex of the bend. If that doesn't work I'll move the arrow every inch and see the results. WhenI find the apex the arrow should flip over 180 degrees.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Maybe to test your theory I'll move the arrow so the spinner disks are near the nock. If the bend is indeed at the end the arrow should flip the exact oppposite way if the spinners wheel are on the apex of the bend. If that doesn't work I'll move the arrow every inch and see the results. WhenI find the apex the arrow should flip over 180 degrees.
Well I guess it alldepends on how the arrow is'bent'or mis-shaped as to what results you'll find. And once the fletching and glue is applied- all bets are off as to finding the heavy side of the SHAFT. Ever weigh individual vanes and compare from vane-to-vane? They can vary a lot depending on the length and the manufacturer. I know you mentioned that you removed the fletch and still got the same result- maybe that is the heavy side in your instance. Maybe it won't be on another shaft that has one heavy fletch with a lot of glue compared to the others on that shaft.

I got into a similar discussion with someone who was talking about measuring runout on shafts. Not all non-straight shafts have a gentle, consistent arc to them. Those that doare easy to find and measure because most people measure the mid-point between the supports (middle of the shaft).

I pointed out, what if your shaft is a very subtle "S" shape? If the shaft was centered on the supports and if your indicator is positioned at the middle of the shaft- you could have a hellacious s-shaped shaft, yet have almost perfect reading zero runout at the midpoint of the shaft (midpoint of the "S").

I got a blank look back at me....[8D]

Thepoint is that shaftscan possibly have the worst runout at different places on the shaft. Not necessarily the middle.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally understand what you are saying and it's a great point about the run out.

i thought it might be the fletching or the wrap and removed both and refletched with the exact same results. now i'm interested in what i can do to make the arrow accpeptable.I have 4 good ones out of the half dozen GT Xt Hunter'sI bought.

Thanks to both of you for your imput.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, I looked down the shaft of one of the arrows as I slowly spun it and you can clearly see that the end is warped/bent. I contacted the place I purchased the arrows from and they said to go through the manufacturer.

What's the likelyhood I get replacements? Or, is it a pipe dream that the manufacturer would replace? Don't they have to meet their guarantee?

This has taught me to purchase all my arrows full length from now on and then have them cut on both ends like recommended. The bend is about 1.5" or so from nock end down shaft. If I'd cut that off I'd probably have 2 good arrows.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

All I know is I recently bought some .001 Carbon Techs from Len. They are the best arrows I've ever owned. I always opted for good but not great. 12 arrows on the spinner...11 spin true. 12 arrows with fixed broadheads...11 shoot true. The bad one was good. Never had that kind of ratio before. Usually with my ICS hunters I'd get from 6-9 shooters from a dozen. I bought the last 5 he had giving me 17. Those 5 are all true.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Man, I've been busy all weekend with the Seminar/Workshop and I'm exhausted; but, we did a lot to shed more light on arrow straightness and spine.

It looks like this thread is alsoshedding some light on this very delicate subject.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Black Frog
I have a Hooter Shooter (shooting machine)
I've always been envious of that..

and while I haven't tested this scenario, I'd be willing to wager that with my spine/straightness tester that you could find the 'high' side of those .006" arrows, fletch them all in the same orientation, and if they all had consistent spine from arrow to arrow- I bet they would group broadheads better than the .003" arrows if those had erratic spine differences.

But yes, if spine is consistent with both groups of arrows, obviouslythe more straight ones will generally perform better.
Maybe you can confirm this. I've found that straightness and spine consistancy have nothing to do with each other, when paying for better arrows.. Arrows that are rated at .001 were just as inconsistant with spine as those rated at .006 from one manufacturer. I haven't tested enough arrow levels at enough manufacturers to know if this is an industry wide thing, but I suspect it is from what I know about the technical aspects of carbon.

I'd also like to see the results of testing these arrows out of your hooter shooter, with real fast-spinning arrows. Lots of spin on a broadhead tipped arrow is something I really think is critical to great flight.