Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow squeaks ??

Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow squeaks ??

I just got a bow from a friend of mine and I have been shooting it for a week, and now all of a sudden teh cams or cables ?? sqeak when I draw back, what can cause this is it posibly past it's max torque for tightening the lims on the draw or do I just need to lube the pins on the cams ?? and if so what is the best lube to use I have 3 other bows and I have never run into this issue, Thank you for the help and info that can be provided
John
Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow squeaks ??

Depending on the bow it could be cam bushings needing lubed. A good teflon based lube will work fine on them. If it's a bow with split cable harnesses it could be the little buttons that the yoke attaches to at the limb tips are rubbing the limbs too hard. Again, a little drop of lube between the button and the limb.

Maybe it's not that at all. Maybe it's the cable slide on the rod. See if you can just clean the slide and the rod with alcohol. Do not add lube to the rod. It doesn't need it.

See if this helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lithium grease works good allso , DONT use wd40 or any other penitrateing oil , as its not good for the limbs .
Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point Jim. I should have specified not to use any oil based lube as this just attracts dust and dirt. Definitely lithium grease is the best, but I guess it would depend on whether a man has the ability to tear the bow down to apply it. And if he does thenhe shouldlube everything; limb bolts, limb rockers, axlesand everything. Everything but that dumb cable rod/slide.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vegatable oil works great for anythign that squeaks on a bow.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Vegatable oil works great for anythign that squeaks on a bow.
bah... i dont like to hear people using cooking oil for lubrication.. it attracts dirt soo badly... i have seen way too many rifle actions coated with vegtable oil
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, they've pretty well described everything I would check. Limb pockets, axels, and my first look... Cable slide.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 AM
bigcountry

I have an old PSE that squeaked, I took outthe axles yesterday and cleaned them, and lubed them, and no squeak.