Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release Issue?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Release Issue?

Back in December, I had my 14 year old son in the local archery shop and they had a Fred Bear Element demo we tried. The pull was set about 47 lbs. He was able to draw it by wrapping his fingers around the string - a little strain until he hit the let-off point - but I figured he would gain in strength pretty fast after he started shooting the bow. They figured from that session that his draw length was 29" - same as mine.

So they order one and it came in last week. Turned the pull weight down to just under 50 lbs. We went out to the range and, to our surprise, he couldn't pull it back to the let-off point. We were using a standard TruFire mechanical release. After we go home and started playing with it a little, it turns out he can pull it by wrapping his fingers around the string but not by using the release on thenocking loop.

I'm thinking about getting a release that he can use the muscles in his hand to draw the bow, instead of just from the wrist back up the arm. I'm also thinking about adjusting the bow fora little shorter draw length to compensate for the nocking loop and release. Does this sound logical? I'm sure once he gets to shooting for a couple of months, the muscles will develop and this won't be an issue. Thanks in advance. Roskoe.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Release Issue?

Try a Winn Free-Flight it makes the draw weight feel 10# lighter due to the glove style release.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM
bigcountry

When I was 14, I shot a bear whitetail, and had the same issue. They just came out with alot of these wrist releases. But now, that I have shot a release so long, its harder for me to pull back with fingers. But anyway, I went with a crackshot to fix the issue when I was 14.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM

This does not make sense to me. I didn't think it was the muscles in your wrist or fingers, but rather those in your arm/back/shoulder that you use to draw your bow back. I started off shooting fingers though. I just don't understand why he can draw with his fingers and not with a release....

I can't help but wonder if the draw length is to long for your son. I would have a proshop double check that to be certain.

Chief
Old 01-20-2007, 08:41 PM

We are going to try shortening the draw length to 28". Between the nocking loop and the caliper of the release sticking forward, I think we are drawing at least an inch less than with the fingers. It's interesting on this bow . . . . there is a longplateau after the peak;and the let off doesn't happen until the last couple of inches of the draw. Then there is a fairly solid "wall".
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: chiefks

This does not make sense to me. I didn't think it was the muscles in your wrist or fingers, but rather those in your arm/back/shoulder that you use to draw your bow back. I started off shooting fingers though. I just don't understand why he can draw with his fingers and not with a release....

I can't help but wonder if the draw length is to long for your son. I would have a proshop double check that to be certain.

Chief
You hold with your back muscles, but sure don't start the draw all with back muscles.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:16 AM

shorten draw length to 28". your son must be big for a 14 year old.
My 15 year old is 6' and his is at 28" and mine is 28" also. LOL!!! I would guess draw length is too long!!! A glove style can help some. A winn glove release will let him grab the glove like a fist. Less strain on the rist. But, if he holds the bow straight out and locks arm and has trouble drawing back to his anchor. You need to drop the poundage!!!!! If possible. Also, check if its the right limbs. I've seen some bows ordered and come w/ wrong poundage limbs that were ordered. What is the poundage range on the bow?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 AM

We did some fairly precise measuring last night. His draw length and mine are, indeed the same. Placing a fist flat against a wall while in the shooting position, the distance from the wall to the tip of the nose is 28". So should the bow's draw lengthbe set at 28"?

I also borrowed a Chatillon certified scale from a flyfishing friend of mine and checked the pull weight. The bow is rated as a 50/60 - this one pulls 46 peak with the limb screws backed off about four turns. One thing about it is that the let-off, while only 15 lbs, doesn't occur until the very end of the draw - like the last 2". Other bows I have pulled seem to peak earlier and let off earlier in the pull.