Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Proficiency from different ydg's...release issue >

Proficiency from different ydg's...release issue

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proficiency from different ydg's...release issue

Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Proficiency from different ydg's...release issue

When I first started in archery.....I became pretty proficient at 20 yds, pretty quickly. No big deal, at all.....most everyone I know has done this. I became what "I" think is "proficient" (and let's just talk targets, for now) at 30 and 40 yds with a LOT of practice.

So.....I go and switch releases.

I feel like I'm getting to be pretty proficient again @ 20 yds.....but I had no idea I'd be having so much trouble beyond that yardage. It's like (to ME) learning those yardages all over again. I thought I'd been through this, already.

If any of you guys have ever switched from wrist strap to thumb trigger/BT releases.......did you find this to be true? Or....once you learned the release......your proficiency at the longer (relative) yardages was "there"?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Proficiency from different ydg's...release issue

Why did you switch if you were shooting so well with the other release?? They say if its not broke why fix it! Just curious!

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Before I slipped into the grasps of target panic, I could shoot proficiently with my thumb release soon after I switched from my trigger. Little did I know though, I was going about learning to shoot all the wrong way and that's what lead me to have target panic now.

Now I'm in the process of relearning the shot process and after about another month, I should start to get back to shooting the right way.

So as long as you are learning to shoot it correctly and not cheating it, it may take a little longer to learn but with lots of practice, it should come to you.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

When I was playing college ball.......I started switch-hitting halfway through my Freshman fall. It started out ugly.....but I knew in the long run it would make me a more complete player. In the end....I think it did.

That's why I switched to the thumb release. I want to get a bit more serious about target archery....and it's the general consensus that this release is superior for MOST. I wanted to give it a fair shake.

That's it.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what your experiencing other than target panic Jeff. Shooting a known 40 yards is just like shooting a known 20 yards with any release. If you have it proficient at 20 yards, trust your form and make the shot. It's in your mind and concentration.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, thats a very good reason! Sorry I can't help you. I tried shooting all kinds of release's and the only one I liked was the Winn Freeflight. Good Luckon your mission to become a better target shooter!

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, funny, Ive struggled with the same issues. I have been shooting a wrist release for years, but, I have often wanted to switch to a thumb release as it would be more convenient to just leave on the loop, etc while hunting. I am definately finding out I have to basically start over in training myself to be consistant with the thumb release. I can keep my arrows in a 3 in grp at 30 yrds, but my groups are not tight at all compared to my wrist release.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

If you have it proficient at 20 yards, trust your form and make the shot. It's in your mind and concentration.
Jeff:

What Rob's saying above is VERY true. When you say your having issues, do you mean the shots not breaking in a normal amount of time? I'm assuming this is the problem.

The next thing I was going to tell you to build into your daily routine of 20 blank bales would have been 15 arrows at 10 yards each day as well. This is what will help you build rhythm and timing into your shot sequence without having to worry about your float........it's very easy to aim in a relaxed manner at this distance and just shoot the shot you have developed on the blank bale. This gives you the ability to add in the aiming part of your shot in an area where you can trust your pin float, and trust that your now clean shot execution (cleaned up on the blank bale) will put it in the middle every time. Once you have built this trust in your execution and pin float, your going to see great improvements at all distances.

I'd really strongly discourage you from doing any shooting at 20+ yards right now......If you have the patience another 2x weeks of blank bale and 15 arrow 10 yard games will really help to clean up a lot of what your experiencing now.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Most archers I know that have been at it awhile have a whole shoebox of releases. Sometimes they make the full circle and wind up coming back to the regular wrist strap caliper release. Some go to back tension. Getting a new release seems like a good temporary cure for target panic, but in the end it always seems to return eventually.

On the issue of shooting pretty well at 20 yards and not so hot at 40 yards . . . . have you checked the tune on your bow lately? Maybe get some new arrows? Unless there is some sort of psychological block you have developed about longer distances, the bow should shoot proportional size groups as distance increases.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

If you have it proficient at 20 yards, trust your form and make the shot. It's in your mind and concentration.
Jeff:

What Rob's saying above is VERY true. When you say your having issues, do you mean the shots not breaking in a normal amount of time? I'm assuming this is the problem.

The next thing I was going to tell you to build into your daily routine of 20 blank bales would have been 15 arrows at 10 yards each day as well. This is what will help you build rhythm and timing into your shot sequence without having to worry about your float........it's very easy to aim in a relaxed manner at this distance and just shoot the shot you have developed on the blank bale. This gives you the ability to add in the aiming part of your shot in an area where you can trust your pin float, and trust that your now clean shot execution (cleaned up on the blank bale) will put it in the middle every time. Once you have built this trust in your execution and pin float, your going to see great improvements at all distances.

I'd really strongly discourage you from doing any shooting at 20+ yards right now......If you have the patience another 2x weeks of blank bale and 15 arrow 10 yard games will really help to clean up a lot of what your experiencing now.
Agreed,maybe take a video and post it or send it to matt,rob or even myself and we might be able to pick up on something but it really does sound like anticipaing the shot.

Quick Reply: Proficiency from different ydg's...release issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.