HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Release Issue?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Roskoe

Default Release Issue?

Back in December, I had my 14 year old son in the local archery shop and they had a Fred Bear Element demo we tried. The pull was set about 47 lbs. He was able to draw it by wrapping his fingers around the string - a little strain until he hit the let-off point - but I figured he would gain in strength pretty fast after he started shooting the bow. They figured from that session that his draw length was 29" - same as mine.

So they order one and it came in last week. Turned the pull weight down to just under 50 lbs. We went out to the range and, to our surprise, he couldn't pull it back to the let-off point. We were using a standard TruFire mechanical release. After we go home and started playing with it a little, it turns out he can pull it by wrapping his fingers around the string but not by using the release on thenocking loop.

I'm thinking about getting a release that he can use the muscles in his hand to draw the bow, instead of just from the wrist back up the arm. I'm also thinking about adjusting the bow fora little shorter draw length to compensate for the nocking loop and release. Does this sound logical? I'm sure once he gets to shooting for a couple of months, the muscles will develop and this won't be an issue. Thanks in advance. Roskoe.