Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS Issue

Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM

Default STS Issue

I got the STS as an x-mas gift. I put it on my bow yesterday and went out and fired a few shots. I was expecteing it to quiet my bow down but instead it made it louder. When I shoot there is a rattling noise like something is loose. I checked my installation and made sure everything was tight and installed properly. Still making a noise. I took it back off my bow and everything is quiet. I can't figure out. Anyone else had issues with the STS making noise?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: STS Issue

Mine did seem louder at first. I had to adjust it to get the best results. On my bow it has to be just touching the string, on my buddies Hoyt it has to be about 1/16" off the string. I had to play around a bit but am very pleased with the results. Give that a try, on the string and then just off. BTW the noise I got was more of a thud than a rattle for what its worth.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:35 AM

I didn't mess with distance from the string I will give that a try. I say rattling but its more of a vibrating sound, always hard to exactly explain a noise your bow is making .
Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first few shots I made with mine, I noticed a little extra noise as well. I backed it off the string just a little further, and it made all the difference. But from your description, i'm not sure if that's the noise you are hearing though.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It made my bow louder allso
Old 12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had my STS on a few different bows. hoping it was just a certain bow that made a "slap" noise. It seemed to shorten and sharpen the noise from my Darton Tundra, but basically I had the same amount of noise. It did kill the vibration though. I also tried the STS on my McPherson Edge. On that bow, it definitely made the bow louder. I tried every combination I could think of, from setting the stopper as close to center as possible, to as far down the string as possible. From touching the string to 1/2" away. Never approached the "silence" that some guys rave about. Don't know why, but I've had more luck getting rid of bow vibration with a Sims Enhancer 2000 and an S-coil. Seems like it does the same or nearly the same vibration control, without the slap noise. JMHO
Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

After JOE's post Ill mention that I tryed mine on a pearson passion .
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you check your cam modulesand other gear to make sure everything is tight? The sudden stop of the string, and force of the string stoppingonto the STScould make hearing something vibrate more noticeable.