Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A SERIOUS ISSUE

Old 02-08-2003, 11:30 AM

Default A SERIOUS ISSUE

WE HAVE FRIENDS THAT OWN A LARGE FARM IN NORTHERN MICHIGAN. THE NEXT FARM OVER RAISES BEEF CATTLE. THEY RECEIVED A BLOCK PERMIT LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF CROP DAMAGE. THEY KILLED 75 DEER LAST YEAR(THEY SAY). THIS YEAR THEY RECEIVED ANOTHER BLOCK PERMIT AND ARE BRAGGING ABOUT KILLING 65 DEER.
I DID NOT BELEIVE IT SO I WENT TO SEE FOR MYSELF. I COULD NOT BELEIVE MY EYES. MY FRIEND AND I FOUND 12 DEER CARCASSES ON HIS FARM. WE THEN FOUND DEER CARCASSES PILED UP DE-COMPOSING ON TRHE NEIGHBORS FARM.
WELL I WAS STEAMIN MAD. I CALL ANOTHER FRIEND WHO IS A DNR OFFICER IN ANOTHER COUNTY. I ASKED HIM TO TAKE AN INTEREST IN THIS NONSENSE. WHEN HE CAME TO LOOK, HE IMMEDIATLY STARTED TO TEAR UP. I GUESS YOU HAD TO SEE IT TO BELEIVE IT. WELL HE WENT TO ARREST THESE IDIOTS AND THEY PROVIDED TO HIM A DOCUMENT THE DECLAIRED THAT THEY COULD ELIMINATE THE THREAT TO CROP DAMAGE. THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT. SOME ONE IN THE GOVERNMENT IN MICHIGAN ISSUED A DOCUMENT THAT GAVE THIS IDIOT THE RIGHT TO, IN EFFECT, ELIMINATE THE HERD IN THE AREA.

WELL TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, WE HAVE FILED A LAW SUIT TO GET A INJUNCTION TO STOP THIS SLAUGHTER. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THIS ISSUE. OUR NEXT STEP WILL BE THE MEDIA.

IT IS SAD THAT THIS WHOLE ISSUE IS ABOUT THE FACT THAT THIS FARMER WILL NOT MOVE A ROUND HAY BAIL CLOSER TO THE BARN AND THE DEER ARE FEEDING ON IT AT NIGHT.

ANY THOUGHTS ON A BATTLE PLAN?

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL
Old 02-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A SERIOUS ISSUE

chef#1, you are right, this is a very serious issue that needs to be taken care of immediately. I am very surprised that the DNR officer could not do anything about it, being that the deer belong to the State and not the farmer. It seems to me that these IDIOTS are nothing more than killers with to much time on their hands. If the DNR cannot do anything about it, your only other option might be the media. Good luck and keep us informed with how things are going.

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter
Old 02-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

That is horrible. I'm a new hunter and am just now being impacted, not just with nature because I've always loved the outdoors and nature, but with the pleasures of the hunt. The excitement, the patience, the discipline, etc. I am in-love with hunting at this point and I've only been hunting once. And it there was no romance involved. I sat out in 0 degree (-0 windchill) weather for 5 days in 2002 here in Missouri and saw 2 deer (at 200 yards). And even after that being my first experience I love it. And the fact that these ranchers have such a lack of respect and, as you said, won't even move a bail of hay but would rather kill 100+ of these things in 2 years is ludicrous. I hope you get this resolved.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:53 PM

Hey Chef,
I take offense to this as well, being just south of you. There are regulations in the government that need to be adressed with this issue. While I don't think this particular situation is all that common, many farmers get these permits and have free reign to slaughter deer. I think with these permits the farmers can shoot them out of season as well.
The DNR here as tried to adress this with their "public hunting on private land" program. This gives farmes block permits to issue to hunters on a day to day basis. The crop damage is reduced and hunters get a primo spot...win win situation. However the list of landowners is pretty small.

You should check this site out and post this there too...
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com

They have more than a few DNR C.O.'s that frequent the site and will put these guys under the microscope.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder too. Hope your back to 100% befor October.

Trushot }}------>

Edited by - trushot_archer on 02/08/2003 13:55:11
Old 02-08-2003, 05:18 PM

TRUSHOT,
THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE WEB SITE. WE HAVE FORMED A FAIRLY LARGE GROUP THAT PLANS TO FIGHT THIS PROBLEM. I FEEL BAD BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO HAD DEER IN THERE BACKYARDS FOR ALL OF THERE LIFE HAVE NOT SEEN ON YET THIS WINTER. ITS A SHAME THAT WE IN MICHIGAN HAVE ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN.

OH YEA SHOULDER SUCKS BUT GAVE ME TIME TO INVEST IN THIS CAUSE. LOTS OF REHA.

Old 02-09-2003, 12:20 PM

Remember guys, we are talking about this guy's business and the way he makes a living to feed and support his family. Obviously you don't have all the facts, because I seriously doubt he would be given a permit to kill all the deer affecting his crops unless it was a major problem. That being said, if he is senselessly killing all the deer just to be an a$$hole, then I'm right with you. However, if the deer are really hurting his business I see no problem with what he is doing.

Hunt the thickets
Old 02-09-2003, 12:28 PM

Hey chef, where in Northern Michigan is the otrosity taking place? I'm from Manistee county and was wondering if this is taking place anywhere near me?

Old 02-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Spike

I dont think you have all your Facts straight Chef#1. I dont think the Government has anything to do with this issue. One this type of thing is all about the DNR. Also the the dnr just does Not give out Permits to kill. The DNR comes out and LOOKs the Problem over and then and only then that they may issue the permit. The Farmer has a right to Make a living just as you do. The only differ is that he's still living off the land that his Dad or grandparents had and now he has. THE THING IS I DONT AGREE WITH IT MY-self
Old 02-09-2003, 02:09 PM

The only thing that bothers me about it is you make it sound like it was a waste of good meat. Did they just shoot them and leave them lay or did they harvest them and use what could be used, like keeping or donating the meat.

It also makes me sick that they killed more deer than I saw this season. Not from a moral stand point, I'm just jealous! I wonder if they were taking them legally or going by the same rules we have to. 65 or 70 deer in a 90 day hunting season is a pretty damn good success rate. Especially considering most tags issued don't even get filled.

I would not get the media involved, that will just make all of us look bad and lead to more restrictions for hunting overall. The only reason you get to hunt is to keep the numbers in check. It is not your God given right. If the government did not want you to hunt them or the numbers were low, it would not be legal or way less permits would be issued. Like said above, I was under the impression in these cases they do a little research to find out if there is a need or good reason for this kind of heard thinning. They also pobably have a pretty decent idea of the numbers in that area and knew if the population could handle it or not. At least I would hope so anyway.

Paul
Old 02-10-2003, 10:49 AM

TO ALL, YOPUR POINTS ARE WELL TAKEN AND I APPRICIATE YOUR INTERACTION. I GUESS THAT MY MOST SERIOUS ISSUE IS THAT, WHEN I WENT TO VISIT, I SAW DEAD CARCASSES JUST LAYING IN A PILE. THEY IN NO WAY HAVE TRIED TO UTILIZE, BURY, OR HANDLE THESE DEAD ANIMALS. HOW MANY HUNGRY PEOPLE DO YOU THINK 75 ANIMALS WOULD HAVE FED. I REST MY CASE HERE.

Quick Reply: A SERIOUS ISSUE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.