Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Glue

Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Default RE: Fletching Glue

All of the vanes i have seen, said that there are not to be precleaned because they have something on them to help with adhesion, I dont see why people have such trouble with fletchin, i have only been doing it only a little over a year, now and have had no problem, i did have to clean alum.really well, either with a arrow prep solution, with plain o' rubbin alcohol, Carbon i have even less trouble get the fletching to stay, both with vanes and feathers. As for glue i just use regular super glue from wal-mart, the gel stuff is much better and easier to use but cost more for less, than the regular watery type super glue. Just my .10

Good luck
Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only 2 vanes that I know of that you should not clean is Bhoning and Norway duravanes. most other vanes require that the mold release be cleaned off otherwise they will not bond to the shaft.

Trust me I know what I am talking about I used to do this for a living.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the platnium glue it works good no probs yet, i dont shoot vanes tho feathers only for me...it takes a while to set up 15-20 under cool dry conditions...and about a day and a half to get ROCK hard. I wait a couple days to shoot mine. I refletch only a couple at a time...so i dont havea problem not being able to shoot while my arrows set up...I like theBohning fletch tape to that stuff is great just finishoff the ends with a dab of platnium, i also like to put a dab in the middle of the fletch for good measure.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Fastset gel and a good CA accelerator works perfect for me on aluminum or carbon.

I pour a little of the accelerator in a small cup thendip a Q-tip into it and wipe down the shaft just prior to placing the clamp in the jig. I give it just a light press down and it's bonded instantly.

Been doing it this way for years, helical or straight. Works perfect every time.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:02 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I use Saunders Arrow Mate NPV. Have been using it for years and won't switch unless they quit making it. The fletch stays on until you take it off. All of the arrows I've had that use the quick dry or epoxy type glues the bond gets brittle and eventually breaks down. A bigger problem when it get cold. The NPV bond stays flexible under all conditions and over time. It doesn't dry fast so it takes a while to fletch a bunch of arrows but it is worth it IMO.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mez
Good Points about the fast set glues
exposure to water will cause the glue to break down also.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've gone from using the platnium to the goat tuff. They both seem to hold my blazers on the wraps very well, BUT the goat tuff stops flowing when I stop squeezing the bottle, where as the platnium just keeps flowing when I don't want it to! I hate that[:@]
Old 10-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck