Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 super glue for fletching glue? >

super glue for fletching glue?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

super glue for fletching glue?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Default super glue for fletching glue?

Can I use super glue as a substitue for fletching glue?...It seems to hold a lot lot stronger than the bohning stuff I have been using, and is a lot cheaper around here, I have been using this stuff in a green squeeze bottle that is a gel super glue and doesn't run, it has been working perfectly on my carbons, with no wraps, but it turns odd colors on the carbon like white or a rainbow color sometimes, will it hurt the arrow, and is there anything wrong with using it?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Default RE: super glue for fletching glue?

i personally havent used it, but ive heard of many other people using just a general "super glue" and having success with it
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Yes, but it tends to be brittle after it dries....But it does work quite well. I found the gel better than the liquid.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM

yep, you can't use super glue on carbon shafts; it warps them... works great on aluminum though.
there are some other fast drying glues out there; all of the companies make them... stick with one of those.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM

Never heard that...Does that mean that ALL cyanoacrylates (super glue) such as Quantum XT, Pine Ridge and the like warp carbon arrows as well??
Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Super glue warps carbon?

This is news to me, it's all I've ever used, with no problems with it.

I don't understand how it warps it, I guess as it dries it shrinks maybe? Hence the brittle properties...?

It's just cheap and works good 'nuff, so I guess until I start getting unwanted results I'll just keep using it =\
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Loc Tite super glue and have had success with all types of shafts and fletching. I just got my Blazers to stick like crazy using this stuff. Personally, I can't see why I spent 10.00 a bottle on the glues from the fletching manufacturers.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Amen muzzyman, I agree. I'd use elmers glue or a glue stick or snow paste if the fletchings would stay on (not that I've tried [:-], I just assume).

The stuff is overpriced I believe mainly because companies make you believe it's the only thing you can use, or it's the absolute best.

It's the same with the razor blades with the cutouts in them people use to strip fletchings off. Those are the same as roofing blades which I have found much cheaper than archery stores (even *sigh* Bass Pro Shops). The prices are those are inflated just because companies make you think it's some sort of speciality item when it's really mass produced for multiple purposes.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: waltwittman

yep, you can't use super glue on carbon shafts; it warps them... works great on aluminum though.
there are some other fast drying glues out there; all of the companies make them... stick with one of those.
wrong
ALL of the quickset gels designed for fletchingis canoacrylate same exact thing as super glue gel
Old 01-08-2007, 09:40 PM

that is basically the only thing i use now,,i have tried some of the other fletching glues but i have had the best luck with minimal effort wit regular super glue,,the gel is nice but it cost a little bit more than the liquid,, usually u can get a 10gram bottle of the liquid stuff for the same price and 4 grams of the gel.

Quick Reply: super glue for fletching glue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.