Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow weight vs. Draw weight >

Arrow weight vs. Draw weight

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow weight vs. Draw weight

Old 08-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Arrow weight vs. Draw weight

Im at work with not much going on and was reading some articles on the main page. I read this below and had a question. I'm shooting Gold tip XT hunters at 8.2 grains/in at 27 inches long. I have researched the weights of each arrow accessory and came up with my total arrow weight being 363.4. Broken down, GT arrow= 221.4, Tip=100 gr, nock=12 gr, insert=15gr, and (3)2" blazers= 15 gr. Thats 363.4 grains total.

The Archery Manufacturer's Organization (AMO) has proposed a standard minimum arrow weight of roughly six grains for each pound of your bow's maximum draw weight (60 pound bow = 360 grain arrow).

By today's standards, a heavy hunting arrow will weigh 8 to 10 grains per pound. And, if you really want to go for all-out speed, the standard of 5 grains per pound set forth by the International Bowhunter's Organization (IBO) for its sanctioned 3-D tournaments is as light as you dare go.

My bow is setting at 65 pounds or so. With the above statement, I should have an arrow weight of 390. Sitting at 70 pounds,I should have a weight of 420 grains. Is this enough of a difference to matter? Am I cheating myself of something here? A heavier arrow makes for a quieter bow, correct?

Just looking toget enlightened on the subject.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow weight vs. Draw weight

Correct , but you give up a few fps. You can't have both.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Ok, I can live with that. I am not a speed freak byany means. As long as my arrow gets there before the deer knows what is happening. I am not the least concerned.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think asomewhat heavy arrow is better when your hunting. helps your KE and is more quiet..
Something in the 400-450 grains range.. give or take a little..
just imo though.