HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow weight vs. Draw weight
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Finch

Default Arrow weight vs. Draw weight

Im at work with not much going on and was reading some articles on the main page. I read this below and had a question. I'm shooting Gold tip XT hunters at 8.2 grains/in at 27 inches long. I have researched the weights of each arrow accessory and came up with my total arrow weight being 363.4. Broken down, GT arrow= 221.4, Tip=100 gr, nock=12 gr, insert=15gr, and (3)2" blazers= 15 gr. Thats 363.4 grains total.

The Archery Manufacturer's Organization (AMO) has proposed a standard minimum arrow weight of roughly six grains for each pound of your bow's maximum draw weight (60 pound bow = 360 grain arrow).

By today's standards, a heavy hunting arrow will weigh 8 to 10 grains per pound. And, if you really want to go for all-out speed, the standard of 5 grains per pound set forth by the International Bowhunter's Organization (IBO) for its sanctioned 3-D tournaments is as light as you dare go.

My bow is setting at 65 pounds or so. With the above statement, I should have an arrow weight of 390. Sitting at 70 pounds,I should have a weight of 420 grains. Is this enough of a difference to matter? Am I cheating myself of something here? A heavier arrow makes for a quieter bow, correct?

Just looking toget enlightened on the subject.