Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what arrow weight is a good weight for hunting >

what arrow weight is a good weight for hunting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what arrow weight is a good weight for hunting

Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default what arrow weight is a good weight for hunting

being new to archery hunting. I would like to know what arrow weight is a good weight for hunting

My draw length is 27 inches. 60-70 lbs draw weight. Bow speed is 300fps ibo. So I believe I would use a 28 to 28 1/2 inch arrow correct?. I notice that most CARBON arrow fletched nocked and have incerts weight between 7.9-9.45 gram per inch

So taking the numbers 28 inch arrow times the min weight of 7.9grams +100 grams for the broadhead would be 321 grams.

Is this correct?
The reason I ask is I dont want to be misslead when I go in to buy my set up.

Any Guesses on speed and knetic energy for arrow. I am going to have the bow I buy cronoed so I know what its doing before I leave the shop.

Would 245-250fps arrow speed be correct for 64 lbs draw weight?

Like to be informed so I know when the wools coming over my eyes
Thanks in advance

AL
Old 02-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what arrow weight is a good weight for hunting

The fact is that most arow shafts weigh the figures you posted, meaning 8 to 9.5 GRAINS/ inch. Inserts usually weigh 15 to 20 grains (for carbon). Vanes weigh between 8 and 12 gr each (4"). The nock weighs about 13gr. Then add your point of 100gr and you're looking at a 400+ gr completed arrow, which is not all that unusual.

There are ways of shaving as much as 100gr off that figure for shooting bows of about 60# or less, but most guys are probably shooting about 400gr. Some, like me, shoot as light as 315gr and there are those that like heavier arrows of as much as 600gr. Things to be taken into consideration are bow weight and drawlength, the size of the animal to be hunted (deer are NOT big game). You try to reach a balance between speed and silence, with silence being the more important consideration in a hunting rig.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

A couple of things caught my eye in your post. First you said you are a 27" draw length, but would be shooting a 28.5" arrow. This seems very long to me. I shoot a 27" arrow with a 28" draw length. There is really no need for the extra length on those arrows. You are correct about the average weight per inch on arrows, but as BGfisher said don't forget about components.

Check out the arrow weight estimator on bowjackson.com and that can help you figure out what your weight should be around. As far as figuring out the KE, the best way to do that is to chrono your bow with your arrows once you get them and know their weight and use a KE calculator on the web.

Personally, I like to keep my arrows at around 400 grains. I feel that this gives me a flat enough trajectory for hunting while maintaining a decent weight to aid in penetration. Some have had great success zipping 300 grain arrows through deer while others are lobbing 550 grain arrows through deer.

Also, before you worry too much about KE check out this link:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...tion/index.cfm
Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingBry,, I like the link. I've read a lot of them, too. "Much Ado About Nothing" if I remember right.

Here's a couple. Check out the Letters section on Spot-Hogg's website. I really like the one about Cam Lean, #5.

There is some very educational stuff out here on the web if one wants any education at all.

Later dude.