Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can I cut Goldtips from the back after nocks have been installed? >

Can I cut Goldtips from the back after nocks have been installed?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can I cut Goldtips from the back after nocks have been installed?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Can I cut Goldtips from the back after nocks have been installed?

Guys,

I bought some Goldtips and I need to shorten them...... Inserts and nocks have been installed...... I know getting the inserts out is next to impossible.... How about the nocks? Are they easily removed?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can I cut Goldtips from the back?

What type GT's are they?

If they're GT nocks they should either be their standard "loc-nock" or some other press in style.

You'll know if they're loc-nocks if you see a hole in the center of them.....this leads to a small allen screw that "locks" the nock tight to the shaft. Loosen this and pull them out.

The only thing that determines front and back on a carbon shaft is where they put the label. You can cut from either end, and if you are building them from scratch I would recommend cutting evenly from BOTH ends before you install the components.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about the new GT nocks. I got sick of carbon arrows and quit messing with themwhenGT was still using the old style with the set screw. But I doubt they're much different than any others. Should pull right out, using a bit of a twisting motion.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:35 AM

They are expedition hunters...... Already crowned and fletched.... Dang feathers are too far forward.. I use the fletch as a double anchor and I need to cut 1/4 an inch or so off...... Also would stiffen them up, which would then allow me to use a heavier tip to get my overall weight up......

Arthur,

Anyway to remove feathers without damaging the crown?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you can cut from the back. I always trim from front and back when making up arrows.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

FYI for anyone not doing this already...........

I got this tid bit of advice from Tim Gillingham from Gold Tip and it works great. Instead of glueing in nockbushings ornocks, take a garbage bag and hold over the nock end of the shaft and push the nock or nock bushing through the bag and into the shaft. This will allow the bushing to sit in the shaft tightly so it won't fall out or turn without you wanting it to, but will also allow you to pull it out easily if needed in the future. I was having a lot of problems last season with wrecked nocks and bushings from being hit by my arrows and other peoples arrows and then would have to scrap the shaft due to messing something up trying to get it out........this fixes that problem.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 PM

nice tip rickjames

Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I need to cut 1/4 an inch or so off...... Also would stiffen them up, which would then allow me to use a heavier tip to get my overall weight up......
Taking a 1/4" off is not going to stiffen up the spine that much that you would still be spined right if you went to a heavier head.

Anyway to remove feathers without damaging the crown?
Not that I know of.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any way to remove feathers without damaging the crown.... There is a way, but it's a PITA. Take a really sharp knife and carefully cut through the base of the feather, from one end to the other. Take care not to cut into the crown dip itself! Then you can sand off the rest of the baseand glue with fine grit sandpapertill you get flush with the finish.

Problem is, the glue is bonded to the crown dip so the crown is messedup to start with. You'll have to orient the arrow in your fletching jig so that you fletch right on top of the old fletch locations.

Refletch with Bohning fletching tape so, the next time you refletch, all you have to do is peel off the old feathers and do some minor sanding where you dotted glue on the ends of each feather.

OR ---

Be likeallus MORTAL beingsand break or loseyour arrows before you have to refletch them. [8D]
Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Well guys, it was a lot to do about nothing...... I played around with the nock rotation until I could just barely get the feather to touch my nose..... This will have to work for now.... Like Arthur mentioned, I will probably loose or break them before too long.... Thanks for the input.