Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String loops . . . Yea OR Nea? >

String loops . . . Yea OR Nea?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String loops . . . Yea OR Nea?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: String loops . . . Yea OR Nea?

ORIGINAL: ButchA

I don't know.... I have never used a string loop. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but for some reason I don't trust them. Then again a lot of guys I know use one and have had great success. It's one of those things, where either you like them or you don't.
Ditto.....
Old 02-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Just glanced at this thread and especially the pictures. While we have never (rap on wood) had a loop come off, we do install our differently than anything I've seen. I showed our 'reverse knot' procedure at one of my seminars last year. The attendees were impressed with the simplicity and shortness of the loop. Don't ask for pictures because I don't know how to transfer them. Davidmil tried to get me set up and failed. If he can't do it with my system, I don't know who to ask.

I also agree with NOT flattening the ball.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Got my first one installed on my Patriot tonight. The shop owner takes great pains installing his and after burning the ends he doesn't flatten them either. Still, I am going to be leery for a bit, something I need to get used to I guess. One question though...........he left one clamp-on nock set on TOP of the loop(on the outside top, is that normal?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:52 PM

CM:

Two things. First, make sure your release doesn't have any burrs on the jaws. That will tear up a loop real fast.

Second, the only time we put a nock above the loop is when the customer has monofilament serving. That's rare these days but we still see it occassionally.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 PM
8PT

Len, by reverse knot do you mean having the tails/balls turned to the inside of the loop next to the arrow nock? If so I have been doing them that way for about 4 or 5 years. I believe they hold better and stay in place more securely done that way. Gary Green that used to be with Diamond and I think was with PSE before them showed me that. I also normally tie in a small nock point with serving thread inside the loop under the nock.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:34 AM

Only on the bottom knot.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use a loop. I'm draw length challenged (~27") and don't want to add the extra length. Also, I shoot a Scott Mongoose release. The single caliper configuration I believe is meant to be used to shoot off the string (only one side of the caliper moves.) I used my original string for 2+ years, shooting pretty much at least once a week, without enough wear on the serving to ever have to change it. Maybe shortening up my rig and adding a loop will get me better groups, but I shoot well enough without to not worry about it. If I do my part, the arrow does its part...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 AM

I have a new trykon xl , and after a few months of shooting and tuning , I found a combo that works very well. If anyone is interested... I put a peep in the string that splits 3 ways , so rotation is of no concern , I tryed multiple loops , speed loop , the kind that clamps to the string , and various types of nock markers. All of my testing is by shooting through a chronny. the end result is a string loop , the material is whatever tru ball sells? , 2 saunders brass nocks above and below the arrow nock , I do not have any nock pinch at all , I put a little extra serve material under were my knots grip the string , I got rid of the string silencers that came on the bow , I think they are called fuse string shox , they dont work.......I installed the sims limbsaver super string leeches , they are excellent ! I've got an STS also and i'm a true beleiver in that product! This is an 80# bow and it is nearly silent! after playing with many arrow combos I am using easton axis full metal jackets 300s cut to 28'' 125 grain tekanIIs , I cut my wraps down to 4'' and fletched with blazer vanes, my arrows weigh 505grains. After all my tuning and getting my whisker biscuit just right , I am getting 276 F.P.S. and my groups only open up to 8 to 10 inches at 60 yards , and I know that it is just me , that is as good as I get ! I hope this helps the trykon people out there ! Maybe you can do in a weekend what i've been working on for months!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

When shooting a mathews with stock strings , its that or the dreaded rubber band .
Boy, don't I know all about that... Can't believe I left those stock strings on for as long as I did; made a world of difference.

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

[blockquote]quote:

I still see "pros" on hunting shows without them. In fact if you notice Tom Miranda doesn't even use a rear peep.
[/blockquote]

I don't think I'd be using him as an example of what or what not to do...
[/blockquote]

Why not?
mobowhuntr, Sorry -- didn't mean to ignore your question; I just hadn't been back on this thread since I wrote that...

Here's the way someone else on another forum summed up my thoughts on ol' Tom, and I agree whole-heartedly:

The only problem people really seem to have with Tom is the fact that he's not a good shot at all. People can defend this and say, "well everyone has a bad arrow every once in a while." But for time it's more like, "well he get's a good arrow every once in a while."

Other than that he is knowledgeable in the outdoors and hunting. He does offer some good tips and he does narrate a good story.[/align]
Old 02-17-2006, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will never shoot without them now, without it my string serving unraveled and i had to re serve it, and then change it before it really was needed, so now I will always use a loop to protect the string! [8D]