Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do string loops slow your string?? >

Do string loops slow your string??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do string loops slow your string??

Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Do string loops slow your string??

I put string loop on my bow was wondering how much it will slow my string..anyone know??I had to change my anchor point..that took a little getting used to.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do string loops slow your string??

It will actually make your arrow faster in most cases depending on what you used previously for nocking point. (ex how many nocks and eliminator buttons )
Old 01-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I would think changing your anchor point would be more of a concern to me. If I was to take mine off I would add a half of an inch to my draw length and shorten 1/2 inch if I added one. I do belive you may lose only a few feet per second. But I would think you should still go with your natural anchor point. If it don't make you draw to far you may be ok, but ruin your form, this could hurt you rather than help you.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aside form a tied in nock the string loop is the lightest one you will get and rob you of the least ammount of speed.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

good answers from those above, probably the only way you will lose speed is from the decrease in draw length.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

I never realized that you decreased your draw length with a string loop. Makes sense, though! I think I learn something new every time I spend 5 minutes on this site.
Thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't change your draw length. Your draw length is your draw length. A loop only adds about 3/8ths of an inch to your anchor position. Your string should still contact your face in the same place as it did before.

The only differance is your anchor point will be slightly higher due to you moving your release from below the nock to behind the nock and slightly farther back due to the length of the loop.

When you change the location of your release your anchor point changes in direct relation to these changes.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Your draw length is your draw length
I may be wrong but I don't find this statement to be true. Kind of the same idea as shooting with no release. Your draw length could increase up to an inch. As that is what it is for me. The way you word it though this is a easy place to get confused.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes fingers and a mechanical release are two totally different things. I was refering to a mechanical release. Sorry about that.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:20 AM

It all depends on how you anchor. If you anchor to a certain position on your face and want to keep it that way, then you would have to shorten your draw length some, or use a shorter release. Many things can change your percieved draw length, however your powerstroke remains the same. If you don't mind your hand being slightly farther back then it used to then you don't have to alter your draw length.

Paul