Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow speed gain? >

Arrow speed gain?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow speed gain?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Arrow speed gain?

I am trying to gain more speed for a youth/ladies bow. The bow is shooting on average about 185 fps. My question is, with arrow weight only , what is the average reduction in grains to gain 1 fps? Is it, (-5 grns = +1 fps)? I think I have read this somewhere before but for the likes of me I can't find the info.

Thanks.[/align]
Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrow speed gain?

Hope this helps. http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#bracespeed
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Buckbuster4ou
My wife shot a hoyt at 42# the bow was only 3 years old.She had trubble drawing that bow.She did kill many deer.

This last year we where talking about buying here a new bow. went to the bow shop and she drew a 60# matews FX back with the same amout of trubble. Well we got on ebay and bout her a FX she is now shooting 56# very eazy.

I shot a hoyt allso.set at 78#s The bow was ok but not as nice as I would like.After seeing how much eazyer my wife could draw the FX I looked in to buying a new mathews.Well I ended up getting the mathews safari. The bow is a 100# bow. I can draw the bow eazy set at 94#s. I have had to show many many people how eazy it is to draw.So far any one at 29 in draw has had no problem drawing my bow.I can shoot a 550 gr arrow at well over 300 fps. I do most all elk hunting.

So what I am saying if you can look in to buying a new bow.In my EXP if you go 1/2 in or so shorter than normal you can draw the bow back eazyer and draw more pounds.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 AM

every 3-4 grain decrease in weight gains 1 fps
Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the info.
Hey Zac, where in OK. are you from? I'm from Osage county, a little town called Fairfax. Hunting has been good this year.
Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:22 AM

My honest opinion is if your wife is shooting a light set up you should be going the other way. I would be looking for a heavier arrow to get better penitration. You would have to drop a fair amount of weight to make a real difference in percieved trajectory.

If she really wants to hunt and you want more speed I would suggest working on getting her to draw more poundage, within reason, we don't want her over bowed. Or look at getting a more effecient bow.

I shoot a fairly light set up as well, like around 50 lbs at 26 inches of draw. I shoot 450 grn arrows when I hunt.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but I think it would work better.

Paul
Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Paul in a hunting situation use a heavier arrow.

But on the other hand if it is for 3d and she is not that good on judging yardage go down to 5gr per lb of draw weight.

Or you could make her real happy on Christmas day and give her a new Bowtech Equalizerwhich in turn could lead to a new bow for you

Old 11-19-2005, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Buckbuster4ou
Hey Zac, where in OK. are you from?
I live in Sapulpa, but the land I own is in the northwestern part of the state by Salt Plains Lake.