Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 sight question (not hunting related) >

sight question (not hunting related)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sight question (not hunting related)

Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM

Default sight question (not hunting related)

first, this isnt about a hunting bow or sight. if anyone can recommend any target archery forums i can check out, that would be great.

anyhow the question is, is it common for target bows to be set up with a sight that has a ring with a pin in it, but only to have the pin removed so i'm shooting through a ring and am just supposed to center the target in the ring? this is what my coaches provide and recommend but i cant get the hang of it. it feels completely unnatural to not have a pin in the sight.

thanks in advance if anyone can help with either of those.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM

Default RE: sight question (not hunting related)

i've never heard of that. i know larry wise uses a lens inside the sight ring that has a very small ring in the lens that he centers over the 'x', but the whole ring, no.

but, if you can master that, and he gives you a pin, you're going to be nutso good.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:30 PM

no, this is like a 1/4" dia. ring with the pin knocked out
Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is done. The effect is like having two peep sights--one on the string and the other on the sight. I used to shoot this way---well let's just say a few years ago. I actually used a 1/2" brass ring up front that accepted different size aperatures. I commonly used a 1/8" as this is what worked best for me.
The concept works because your eye centers the target in the ring, although not as precise as one might think. The results are sometimes amazingly accurate. Another reason it works is because most people want to see what they are aiming at, and covering it with a pin just messes with the mind. So with just the ring you can see the bullseye.
You see this more often in indoor target archery.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM

there is no peep sight on the string, and if it was only 1/8" i dont think it would be as big of a deal. this thing is at least 1/4" though. its so big i cant tell when the X is centered in it.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you haven't talked to your coach about this yet, you really need to. Maybe he doesn't know you need a smaller ring because you've got such keen eyesight.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:18 AM

its like that, minus the pin. thats how big i'm talking about.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

No doubt your coach has a plan for you and that big circle is part of it. It could be thathe is wanting you to learn to center the dot in the circle rather than concentrating so much on the X. The human eye is very good at centering concentric circles with one another,better at it than centering a ball in an X. I suggest youbuy into what he's teaching you and quit fighting against it.