Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how light is too light. >

how light is too light.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how light is too light.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:25 PM

Default RE: how light is too light.

bdbwtie,

Sounds like a plan. The letoff will not change the arrow flight. It's just personal preference where you set it. Cutting your arrows shorter will change the FOC but I wouldn't worry about it. You should still be fine with a 125 head. If you want a lighter arrow, I would stay with carbons. This is because I feel the thin walled aluminums get dented very easily. It's easier to find a light carbon shaft. As far as shaft selection, go to any of the arrow manufacturer's websites and they have charts for that. They will also list shaft weight so it should be easy to find one you want to try. I think the Patriot might be a bit short for finger shooting. You might find that you won't punch the trigger as much when the draw length is right. If you are still punching, then there are a lot of threads on this site that give suggestions on how to fix that.

This site always has debates on threads that discuss this type of stuff.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:36 AM

I forgot to ask what year your Bowtech is? The '05 models have more of a cutout in the riser so the NAP rest might not work well. I used the quicktune 4000 on my Buckmaster G2 and it worked well. It does not work on my Bowtech Defender. If you find that you do not have enough left adjustment and you want to keep the QT on your bow, call NAP and they will send you a new offset piece where the prongs mount. I got one but I had already bought a different rest. If you use it, make sure that your cock vane is pointing down and the cord is adjusted properly.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM

yea, my bow is an 02, not sure how much they have changed since then

Old 11-10-2005, 02:23 PM

I have several light arrows which I use for 3D and targets but my hunting arrows are 412 grains. I won't hunt anything under 400 grains.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its about spine , and enough stearing or fletching in the rear of the arrow . Genraly when you try to go lite , you are to week on spine , and that kills fixed broadhead accuracy . Spine would be my first concern , enough of it and consistancy from arrow to arrow Throw some 5" feathers on there , and then worry about foc . If you are trying to save weight by going to a lite broadhead 75 grains or lighter , and you are useing 5 inch vanes you may have a problem down range in the wind because of foc . If yogo with feathers and a heavy broadhead your trajectory will look like a rainbow , and pin gap will increase , archery is a bunch of tradeoffs .
Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Straightarrow is giving you the real skinny on this stuff. No myths or legends, just straight facts.

Another arrow you might consider, since I doubt you'll be able to find any small diameter aluminums that are also lightweight and will alsospine out properlyfor your bow, is Carbon Express Terminator Select. Same diameter as ICS carbons. They are more durable than any ICS carbon I've tried. They'restraighter andmore consistent in spine and weight than any ICS carbon in the same price range. They also carry plenty of mass for good penetration, but not so much that they'll kill your trajectory.

Head over to www.bowjackson.com You'll find a lot of good tools for calculating arrow weight and FOC, and a good ballistics program where you can make up hypothetical arrows and see what they'll do downrange. Pay no attention to the arrow drop figures, because arrow drop is not the same as trajectory, and trajectory is what you're interested in.

Unfortunately, the link to the trajectory calculator on his site doesn't work any more, but I played with that program A LOT. I learned that the difference in midrange trajectory between a 500 gn @ 250 fps arrow and a 350 gn @ 300 fps arrow, sighted in at 30 yards, isabout an inch. Negligible.So, don't worry too much about ramping up your arrow speedfor a hunting bow. Leave that to the 3D crowd.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:44 PM

I have heard that somebow manufacturers will void the warranty if you shoot an arrow lighter than 5 grains per pound of draw weight. It is similar to a dry-fire condition, in that the bow has to absorb more of the energy upon release with a lighter arrow.This energy is thendissipated in the limbs, string, and riser.