Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how light is too light. >

how light is too light.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how light is too light.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Default RE: how light is too light.

ah, just trying to make it the best it can be
Old 11-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I hear ya, nothing wrong with that!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:35 PM

ke = mass x velocity SQUARED

the gain you will see in velocity is squared in the equation. You will GAIN ke by lossing the mass

"too light" would be less than the IBO standard - your warranty
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 AM

You will GAIN ke by lossing the mass
Theory is great, but reality is better.

Bows transfer their energy more efficiently to a heavier arrow. A heavier arrow also is less affected by wind resistance, therefore downrange the lighter arrow is losing it's K.E. at a faster rate. Add in the fact that heavier arrows have greater momentum which is more important once the arrow has hit hide, muscle and bone that can and will deflect it's energy easier with a lighter arrow. Add all this up and you will get many hunters defending the advantages of shooting a heavier arrow.

All that aside, with his set-up, K.E. is not a problem at any arrow weight. What he needs is an arrow that ends up where he's aiming. I suggest that this will be more easily accomplished by concentrating on proper tuning and making sure the F.O.C. is high (I'd shoot for at least 11-12% for most people). Picking an arrow because it's light is the wrong way to go about choosing a good bowhunting set-up. Out of that bow, he can shoot a log and be shooting plenty "flat" out to 30 yards.

I think that the average hunter will be more successful by concentrating on acheiving a high FOC while making sure the arrow is stiff enough to handle the extra tip weight at his arrow length and draw weight. Throw some helical fletching into the formula and you have a deer killing arrow. Speed does not kill. A sharp broadhead hitting a vital area with a least the minimum amount of energy and momentum to penetrate to the vitals, is what kills.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 AM

[quote]Add in the fact that heavier arrows have greater momentum which is more important once the arrow has hit hide, muscle and bone that can and will deflect it's energy easier with a lighter arrow.[quote]

Theory is great, but reality is better.
Gain in KE is the wrong word. YOU WILL GAIN PENETRATION!!!
This is reality - theory is proven in the math.
Straightarrow -you are not considering the amount of surface area on the projectile.
Reality is the WELL KNOWN fact that smaller diameter carbons penetrate farther than my fat alluminums. I have ridden both sides of this fence - I switched to carbons when the first came out. Back to alluminum because of the durability factor of the early carbons. After 10 years of that I'm back on carbons because of the REALITY of the physics involved.

A heavier arrow also is less affected by wind resistance, therefore downrange the lighter arrow is losing it's K.E. at a faster rate.
- A heavier arrow with THE SAME DIAMETER is less affected by the wind. If you really believe that a lighter arrow is lossing it's KE at a faster rate you need to study the charts a little bit more. FACT - a smaller diameter shaft is LESS affected by the wind = SURFACE AREA. The small difference in weight DOES NOT offset the larger surface area variable - which is what is considered when thinking about crosswinds!!!!

I know this has been beat to death so I will quit here - but you really should take a look at the math involved and then sink some carbons next to your fat alluminums out of the same setup.

YOU will have a REALITY CHECK.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 AM

All that aside, with his set-up, K.E. is not a problem at any arrow weight. What he needs is an arrow that ends up where he's aiming.
Weboth agree that KE is not a problem light or heavy with his setup.
And what he really needs is an arrow that ends up where he's aiming.

Why then, would you suggest "rainbowing one in there"????

I completely agree with you on the FOC discussion. It is a fine line to drop some weight but can be done on most setups with a lot of research, simple calculations, and experimenting.

Go Fast - Go Flat - You have plenty of KE and with the smaller surface area you WILL GAIN PENETRATION.

At some point I'm going to sit down with CADD and determine the actual surface area on different diameters AND surface area on different broadheads. I feel this is completely overlooked and a VERY important variable when considering penetration. Like I said - go sink some small, light carbons into the same target, out of the same setup v.s. heavy "logs".

Would love to hear your results - I know what mine have shown(REALITY)
Good luck to all!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 AM

A heavier arrow with THE SAME DIAMETER is less affected by the wind. If you really believe that a lighter arrow is lossing it's KE at a faster rate you need to study the charts a little bit more. FACT - a smaller diameter shaft is LESS affected by the wind = SURFACE AREA. The small difference in weight DOES NOT offset the larger surface area variable - which is what is considered when thinking about crosswinds!!!!
I don't know where shaft diameter came into this debate, but I didn't assume there was a difference. It's quite easy to shoot a very heavy narrow diameter arrow. I can also shoot a very large diameter light carbon if I choose to.

Why then, would you suggest "rainbowing one in there"????
Hmm, I re-read my post and as I thought, I didn not suggest that anywhere. In fact, I suggested that inside 30 yards, there would be very little trajectory advantage to a light arrow, yet there could be a substantial disadvantage in accuracy - especially out of his particular bow set-up.

but you really should take a look at the math involved and then sink some carbons next to your fat alluminums out of the same setup.
Where are you getting this "fat aluminums"? I don't shoot aluminum. Besides, if I did, such a test is meaningless in my eyes. Targets don't have moving, lubricated muscle and hard bone to deflect the arrow. It is my contention that penetration in a live animal is dependent on very different factors than a static, man made target. In addition, accuracy is far more important in my view.

My recomendation is still, pay no attention to speed. Look carefully at the factors that cause a broadhead to fly well, and take whatever speed results.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:15 PM

heres my thinking on this, i am bringing my bow in after nov 15 since gun seasons starts then. I am having my bow completley cleaned and inspected and then fix my draw lenght, maybe even my let off. But will letoff change this whole setup and everything. Then i am planning on cutting aleast an inch of my CX's, will this change my F.O.C.? I know it will take weight off but they will still be fine since there in the 500 neighborhood now. Then I am going to get some thin shafted carbons or aluminuns (cant decide yet) that are on the light side. That way I can pick my personal preference. How do i know what shaft stiffness to get in either aluminun or carbon. What would change if i went back to finger shooting. I was always a finger shooter until i got this bow, and i have a huge problem with "trigger punching". what do you guys think, oh and no reason to fight!!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Holy Smokes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 AM

I also thought you gain kinetic energy, with heavier arrows. I know when i was younger my friends and i were shooting like and i know its not legal, at least not in pa, but he got a deer shooting 27 pounds. I just think if you place your shot, no matter how much weight, you'll be able to bring down a deer.(Not less than 27 though,lol)

Quick Reply: how light is too light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.