Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arm/Shoulder Conditioning >

Arm/Shoulder Conditioning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arm/Shoulder Conditioning

Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Spike

Default Arm/Shoulder Conditioning

Haven't done any archery in some time, but have retained a 65# recurve and a 50# longbow from my youth so I could get back into it on retirement. Well I'm retired and spend most of my time taking care of my 90yr. old 185# Dad; helping him up and down and picking him up when he falls. He's heavier than I am.

Noticed the arms and shoulders starting to bother, particularly the right side. This weekend the neighbor dropped by with a new compound (65# drop off to 40# I think) and I couldn't draw it back more than about 8" with the right arm. It really hurt. Could pull it to full draw lefty, but I don't shoot that way.

Cananyone recommend some conditioning exercises with weights that I might try? Or would pulling a 35#bow repeatedly (if I can do it)be the bestexercise? Has anyone run into this before?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Bob
Old 10-20-2005, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Arm/Shoulder Conditioning

bob, i always loosen up my shoulders first. they seem to hold up better when i do circles with my arms for a while before shooting. as far as shoulder exercises, i'm not sure, but if the bow is at 65# then you should be able to turn it down to 60#, or have a shop do it. starting with a 35# bow would and moving up slowly would work.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Latte pull downs and bent over rowing. Builds the primary muscles in the shoulders, latts, triceps and pecks.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfish all summer......it really keeps/gets your arm in shape for fall bowhunting!

Good Luck!