Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Call Conditioning

Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Call Conditioning

Hey guys another question.When you have a crystal call, whats the best way to condition it? I'm using a piece of emery cloth to condition it with, but I can't seem to make the call sound right, it screeches and squeals instead of sounding like a turkey. I don't know too much about pot calls, mouth calls are my specialty, so I'd really appreciate some help on this. Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Call Conditioning

For glass or crystal calls I use fine grit sandpaper to get it condition it initially, then use some of the brown scratch pad material from then on to "revive" it when it needs it. Don't use the sandpaper all the time or you'll start making a depression in the surface and will lead to inconsistent sounds eventually.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

ok well I've conditioned it several times with the emery cloth to try and make it sound right. do you think I've over conditioned and messed it up? should i just buy a new one and start over?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure your striker tip is a little roughed up too. If the tip is shiney and smooth, the call won't sound right. You might want to try other strikers too. A different striker can change the way a call sounds entirrely. I wouldn't think you've messed the call up. Try sanding it in one direction, not circular, then move the striker across (perpindicular) to the direction you sanded. I use a the stone on a Primos slick stick to condition my crystal. Emery cloth or sand paper should work fine too. Good luck!