Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dry Fire

Old 10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
bigcountry

Default Dry Fire

goodness gracious, I have my first dry fire today with my old PSE Mohave. Not sure where my head was. I was asking the bow tech about some gripping. And I pulled back to show him. I guess cause I had the trigger on the bow, my first instinct was that I had an arrow on there. So I pulled back again as he left and BAM.

The bow tech said I might have bent my axles or cracked a limb. He looked at it and said maybe an axle is out of balance. I looked and couldn't see anything. But I went ahead and shot for another 1/2 hour. And it shot its same ole 2.5" groups at 20 yards.

Do you think I could have damaged anything? Maybe find out about it later? Scared the crap out of me.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Dry Fire

NEVER draw a bow with a release on it without an arrow knocked and pointed in a safe direction. You just can't trust them, or you as you found out. Some would say never draw one without an arrow on it period.

I have you beat though. I was shooting indoor spots once, well practicing and I drew the bow, aimed and triggered the release. BANG! Never nocked and arrow[]. Ooops. Didn't hurt my bow though. Thank God for simms!

Paul
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 PM

who me? sometimes it won't show up until later.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep an eye out for damage later. I did the same thing when I first got my newbow, and several weeks later I had a cable break (scared me stupid)... It puts a lot of pressure on the ends of your cable... I am still leary each time I draw my bow. I hope I can get over that feeling one day.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:04 PM
bigcountry

Thanks Rev. All I can say about myself is stupid stupid stupid. I have so much on my mind today. I figured a little shootin at lunch would calm me down. I guess it worked against me.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:15 AM

What kind of bow do you shoot? Most of today's modern compounds have enough dampening to take a dry firer with out any damage tothe bow. I would not suggest trying it though. Your axles is all I would worry about. If their fine your probably okay, but youmay see a limb problem in the future, you'll know it if you do.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

cravingame, your response makes me wonder if an STS would help to deminish the effects of a dry fire?

Bigcountry, time to buy a new bow!
(J/k sounds like a good excuse to me)
Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 PM
bigcountry

Dave, actually, I was planning on it over the winter. But I am in the middle of the season. As long as it still hits good at 20 yards, I am going to use it this year.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

If nothing's hurt ,I'd consider myself very lucky "this time"

nubo