Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

slate call conditioning

Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default slate call conditioning

I figured i'd ask everyone here. what do you recomend to condition the suface of your slate call. a knight and hale sla-tek to be exact
Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: slate call conditioning

A scotch-brite or 3M coarse scrubbing pad. The backside of a regular kitchen sponge will work in a pinch.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

A scotch-brite or 3M coarse scrubbing pad. The backside of a regular kitchen sponge will work in a pinch.
Agreed. And make sure to condition in one direction and condition that same direction every time! Put the scotch pad down on the slate at the 9 o'clock position and move to the 3 o'clock position. Then, lift the scotch pad up off of the slate and the put it back down on the 9 o'clock position and repeat. This gives your call consistancy.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 AM

I use a small slate stone to condition my slate calls, just rub it in one direction the same way every time. The call maker gave me the stone and said that is what they use and recommend, but before that I was useing a scotch brite pad.
Both will work.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

For you peole who use a real Slate (not Crystal, copper, or aluminum) also carry a Bic lighter. Flame the surface if damp - you will actually see the slate dry. It makes the call that much better.

JW
Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

For you peole who use a real Slate (not Crystal, copper, or aluminum) also carry a Bic lighter. Flame the surface if damp - you will actually see the slate dry. It makes the call that much better.

JW

Yeah moisture and slate calls... not really the best of friends. Good tip JW.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Emery Cloth...I go in Circles, back in forth.

If you are worried that these scracthes are going to make a Different sound, what about the pressure on the Stick? What about the Tilt? the Possition you hold it? What about the pressure you have on the stricker. How about the Tip of the Stricker AFTER the first call will get a slick spot.

My point is you are worring about to many things. Just try to relax and have fun!

TF
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey Fife,

It's not being worried about the little things. When you condition in only ONE direction, you are able to change pitch much more effectively and consistently. For instance, when you run you're striker with the striations, you typically get a lower pitch, but then when you run it ACROSS the striations (i.e. going across the hills & dales) the pitch will change.

This change in direction is super critical for getting purrs that sound extremely life-like. If you condition your call in one direction, you will see a difference in the tone, pitch and resonance of your yelps and purrs...

I condition all of my calls with a fine grit emory cloth, and carry a cloth and a 3M pad in my vest. In my experience, slate and sla-tek (K&H) will typically need a re-surfacing every few days of the season, because the moisture does affect the surface. If you prefer glass, crystal or metal, these surfaces hold their striations very well and should last most of the season (pending striker material, of course )
S&R
Old 03-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Sla Tek and I use real fine sandpaper on it, just to dust it up, sounds pretty good. too