Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore Conditioning... >

Bore Conditioning...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Conditioning...

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bore Conditioning...

Well, I tried a new, to me, product tonight. I was at the local gun store and he was putting this Montana X-Treme 'Bore conditioner' on the shelf, naturally I had to look at it.

After reading the directions thought I might give it a try - cause I am one of the few thatreally thinks you can condition a modern steel rifle barrel, even if it is not cast iron.

Interestingly one of the big remarks is that it contain no... P.T.F.E's. I questoned about this because a lot of people think that Teflon in the barrel is OK... I have read a few reports that teflon should not be introduce into the bore, but i see many bore oils that claim to have teflon in them. I have avoided those oils myself just because of the memory of theses articles. I beleive it was DanLilja thatI first put the no-no thought on teflon in his target barrels. I must tell youat this time can not find this information.

Anyway:
Bore Conditioner

Montana X-tremeā„¢ Bore Conditioner is a bore lubricant specially formulated for x-treme accuracy in today's precision match grade barrels. It is a super refined, low residue oil that has been processed to eliminate the factors that cause oil to gum and congeal. This formula contains no P.T.F.E., silicones or synthetics of any kind which leave residue behind that can affect accuracy.
I open the bottle and to tell you the truth I thought I was smelling 'Butches Bore Shine' I really questioned whether you could actually put this in your bore and walk away from it - store it... It really smelled to strong.

Reading the label - it contains:
Glycol ether
Terpenes
Petroleum distillates

No ammonia - which I thought I really could smell.

Tonight I prepared a few patches with the product in them - I did not really saturate the patch but it was more than just damp.

Then just for drill I ran a patch through all of the inlines in the metal box. Did not really getmuch from any of the bores - but, and it is probably my imagination, they seemed to get really smooth... i thought they were smooth before but now it seems they are even smoother... aw never mind doesn't make sense.

Anyway if somebody else trys it or has tried it let me know what you think...

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bore Conditioning...

So this can take the place of a gun oil? According to BlackHorn 209 Montana X-treme solvent is one of the best. I have never seen the stuff in my neck of the woods, but that is no surprise. There is very little in my area of anything more then the basics. It will be interesting to hear your first range session with a treated rifle...
Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave,

According to what I am reading - it is the last product to go in the bore. They recommend not to use it until the bore is really clean. They specifically say:

"Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Oil is recommneded for use after a thorough cleaning with, Copper Cream treatment, or Bore Polish, and Cleaning Compound treatment."

The only reason I even looked at the product was because of the information Western had sent me and the fact others have been really impressed with the product(s)
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

They sent me the same information as well. That is why I had never seen this stuff and you got my interest. Do you use their solvent also?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

No, I am still using 'Butches' and Hoppes and hot water cause I still use T17.... but I am really thinking about trying their Bore Solvent.