Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 over spined,under spined,correct spine,,totaly confused >

over spined,under spined,correct spine,,totaly confused

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

over spined,under spined,correct spine,,totaly confused

Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 PM

Default over spined,under spined,correct spine,,totaly confused

okay i have a pse silverhawk that is some where between 60-65#draw wiehgt,,im shooting 31" 2315 with a 30 inch draw length bow,,question is are these arrow over/under/correctly spined,,i look on the easton sizing chart in cabela's and it said (i think) that they were either right or under spined cant remeber which,, also ive heard some say that it is better to shoot an arrow that is over spined than under spined,,any idea on that?? Also i have some easton a/c/c that i plan on using next year,that were givin to me by uncle last year,,i hunting with a couple of them last year,, they are 3/39 at 29" would these have enough spine for my bow,,by the way the 2315 have 100grn. point,,,,,the easton last year had 85grn.point but i will put the half out serts in them and shoot 100grn. heads next year,,any help would be appreciated

one more question,,hopfully next year i will have the money to invest in a new bow,,as i am left eye dominate i thought about going to a left hand bow,,specifically the pse firestorm lite,,(unless pse comes out with better bow),,should i make the switch to a left hand bow or stick with right hand since i learned on it and shoot with it very well,,also i was talking to kid at school today that siad i should switch to a left hand helical on my arrows if i do make the switch to a left hand bow,,said a buddy of his did this and he can practly robin hood arrows every time(dont quite belive that part but would it be better than right hand fletch,,i dont think i will with a drop away but i dont know much and would really appreciate as much help as i can get,,,,thank a million
Old 09-10-2005, 04:54 PM

Default RE: over spined,under spined,correct spine,,totaly confused

come on yall any help would be appreciated
Old 09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm far from an expert, but since no one else is helping, I will try. I think your 2315s should be OK spine wise. I'm not sure you really need 31" arrows, but if that is the way they are cut, you may not want to change them. I think I would want at least a 125 gr. pt. for a 31" 2315, but if your arrows are shooting OK, then you might not want to change. I'm just not sure what type of cam system the Silverhawk has, and how it might affect the spine of the arrows. Even if the Silverhawk has pretty much round wheels, the 3/39 ACCs would likely be somewhat underspined, especially at 65#. If I recall correctly, there is a guy on here that has a PSE Edge, shooting 2315 at 30" and 65#. He seems to have a very good shooting setup. You might want to do a search for PSE Edge, and see if you can find the guy. Then you could send a PM, and get some more specific info.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:14 PM

the cams(actully wheels) are the PSE stage three cams and they are basically a round wheel with the axle mounded on the out side edge,,the reason the 2315 are 31" is because i bought them from walmart and in order to get them at that size they had to be 31" and as i dont have, or have access to a arrow saw to cut them down i left them there,,thought about useing copper tubing cutter to cut them down but could not find the insert i needed at gander mnt. or bass pro in st.charles MO.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

PSE, the 2315’s are excellent arrows for your weight and draw. If you check the Easton chart, you’re one block to the left of recommended which is actually the better choice. The 2315’s are the lightest grain per inch in this category. The 3-60’s in the ACC arrow are also excellent if you decide to go with carbons. Stiffer spined arrow, or those in the blocks to the right, will tune with any setup. Easton’s selection charts are always on the heavy side for safety and to be sure the arrows you choose from the chart will tune and fly well with the poundage and draw length. The only negative on selecting arrows to the right of recommended block is the added mass weight. The .15 wall thickness is very durable for practice and hunting. When you drop in wall thickness, say .013 and .012 the shafts are much more susceptible to dents and damage from impact. I like the XX-78’s for their durability. The 78’s will not dent nearly as quickly as the 75’s and are tighter in straightness tolerance. With the selection you made you’re ready to hunt.
Good Hunting…
Old 09-10-2005, 07:18 PM

i have some that have got dents in them but minute ones so they fly fine,,so what does yall thing about the a/c/c should i use them or not it i did would i be better off using the 85grain point already install,, instead of going to 100 grain points??
Old 09-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Ok @ 31" max poundage should be 61lb.I have a downloaded version of the shaft selector.If you cut just 1" off they are proper for your range of 60-65lb.Shorter arrows are stiffer.The acc 3/39's would be a better choice to me.I would stick with the 85gr head.As far as left helical for lefties,that's a new one to me.Hope I helped.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:02 PM

yes it did help as well as what others said,,the a/c/c's are for next year,,
as for the left helical thing it is new to me tothat is why i asked it on here hopeing for a response to it as well,,now ill have to find some stingers in 85grns.for next year