Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Am I under spined? >

Am I under spined?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I under spined?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Am I under spined?

I just got new contacts a couple days ago and can see alot betternow. I have noticed that my arrows seem to be fish tailing some. I am new to archery so I don't understand spine very well. The arrows I have were a gift with my first bow. I didn't get the chance to pick them out. I asked my dad (he gave them to me) if he choose them or if one of the guys at Cabela's did. He said that he choose them because they were on sale. My Dad knows nothing about archery like I did at that point. The arrows are Cabela's Carbon Hunters 55-70's. They are cut to 29.5" shaft and inserts. I have been using 75 grain field tips. No wraps with 4 inch wanes. Bow is a Guardian at 65# and 30" DL. I will be moving up to 70# when my bow schoelder heals up a little better. Still a little sore from an injury I had a couple months ago. I think these arrows are under spined. Are they?

I will be switching to a better arrow and heavier tip in the near future but want to work on my form withthese cheap arrows justin case I miss the target and break one. I broke one this last weekend after I missed a rabbit at 25 yards. Arrow skipped aboutforty yards, hit a cement feed bunk and shattered into at least three pieces. Hard to get a pass threw on those things.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Am I under spined?

AT first glance I would be inclined to say that youcould beOVERSPINED with 4" vanes and such a light field point....... (Remember weight in the rear or removed from the front will effectively increase your arrow spine)
Before you go crazy, try a 100 and then a 125gr field pt on them and see what happens.

Fishtailing can be attributed to roughly 275,000 different things from fletch contact, to grip torque , poor rest tune, arrow spine, etc etc.

Get everything to center and try different point weights.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would doubt they are overspined simply because they are being shot out of a high energy bow and are VERY long.

The main problem is they are relatively cheap arrows and probably wouldn't shoot straight even if the "spine" was dead on.

With that bow and draw length,stay on the extreme stiff side of the spine charts.

jmo [:-]
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

AT first glance I would be inclined to say that youcould beOVERSPINED with 4" vanes and such a light field point....... (Remember weight in the rear or removed from the front will effectively increase your arrow spine)
Before you go crazy, try a 100 and then a 125gr field pt on them and see what happens.

Fishtailing can be attributed to roughly 275,000 different things from fletch contact, to grip torque , poor rest tune, arrow spine, etc etc.

Get everything to center and try different point weights.

Actually it's more like 275,050. Matt just missed a few. Ya have to forgive him. He's young and inexperienced. LOL.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually it's more like 275,050. Matt just missed a few. Ya have to forgive him. He's young and inexperienced. LOL
Hey but at least I still have my vision, hearing and good looks.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, like they say... two outta three ain't bad! [8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Actually it's more like 275,050. Matt just missed a few. Ya have to forgive him. He's young and inexperienced. LOL
Hey but at least I still have my vision, hearing and good looks.
Damn, I should know when to keep my mouth shut. I cede to the young, OH Great One.

Barry
Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 AM

I have been using 75 grain field tips.
Why did you choose such a light tip? Getting weight to the front of the arrow is important on a hunting arrow. The more weight up front, the weaker the spine will act. With your draw length, to get a reasonable weight up front, that arrow will not work - especially at 70 lbs.

That said, the other guys are right, there are many other things that could be causing the fishtailing. Even so, shooting weak spined, broadhead tipped arrows, will frustrate the heck out of you.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id say your under spined , Id use a stiffer arrow , and a heavyer head .