Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OVER-Spined?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default OVER-Spined?

I've seena few posts about people being OVER-spined.

I KNOW my hunting arrows were over-spined. What's wrong with this?.....assuming you've got plenty of push (fps/KE)behind the arrow?

I'm talking about in a hunting situation.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OVER-Spined?

I was always told its always better to be too heavy than to light. I can not see it being a problem at all!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would think paper tunning would be the only set back. But for bowhunting if they look like they fly good and you are grouping that's good enough.

Darrall
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slightly overspined is ok, and with a dropaway even more overspined is probably ok. The spine lets the arrow bend slightly to help clear the rest. To much bend (underspined) and it doesn't recover, not enough bend (over spined) and it sort of "bounces" along the rest.

You can always "weaken" an overspined arrow by shooting a heavier BH as well. this also ups FOC which also helps accuracy. Can't really make the same move to stiffen an arrow.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing wrong with shooting an "overspined" arrow as long as it's not doing anything funky. Out of everyindoor or 3Dbow setup I've ever shot, I've never seen one that didn't fly well with a severely "overspined" arrow setup. The only time I worry about correct spine is for a field/fita archery setup where I will be shooting out to 90 meters, and a fixed blade broadhead hunting shaft.

Every of my best indoor games, and even my best 3D games were shot with "overspined" arrows. I cut them 1/2" in front of the blade on my rest, and never seem to have a problem.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said, overspine is much better than underspine, and in some cases actually better.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Poor arrow flight leads to poor penetration. I'd rather take the time and get my set up right!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My GT 7595's are borderline "overspined" for my 29" draw at 70#. When I drop to 60#, I know they'll be overspined. I'm not certain how a 500 grain total weight, .300 deflection arrow will do out of a 60# setup. It sure would be slower than I'm shooting now. I'll bet the bow would be quiet, though.

Good question, Jeff. It'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Borderline overspined or borderline underspined may be acceptable, you can play with tip weight and shaft length to help. If they tune well your good.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

not to be rude...but question is more for TECH forum...see link below for answers to your question.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2594291

Quick Reply: OVER-Spined?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.